mu4e-delay :: undo-send or schedule email to send later

Ben Maughan

Mar 17, 2016, 6:10:37 PM3/17/16
to mu-discuss
Dear all,

I've put together a package for mu4e users to add a delay to outgoing mail. This is based closely on gnus-delay and can be used to e.g. add a 2 minute delay to outgoing mail so that it can be retrieved and edited before it is /really/ sent. This is like "send later" in thunderbird, or the "undo send" feature in gmail. It can also be used to schedule email to send at a specified date and time.

You can find the package here

https://github.com/benmaughan/mu4e-delay

It is still an alpha version, and I am quite a beginner at elisp coding so there will surely be improvements that can be made. I've been using it for several months without problems though, so I thought some users here might be interested to try it.

Comments or pull requests are most welcome!

Ben

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 18, 2016, 3:36:21 PM3/18/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben.

> I've put together a package for mu4e users to add a delay to outgoing
> mail. [...]
> https://github.com/benmaughan/mu4e-delay

It seems an interesting tool, thank you. :)

Just to understand, what is the difference with C-c C-j (Message > Send
at specified time)?

Thanks... :)

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Ben Maughan

Mar 19, 2016, 8:11:10 AM3/19/16
to mu-discuss
The simple answer is that the command C-c C-j does not work in mu4e - I asked here about this in a thread on 11/7/15 (don't know how to link to it here sorry). Hence I wrote my own version based very closely on the gnus code.

Cheers,
 Ben

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 21, 2016, 5:00:02 PM3/21/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben.

>> Just to understand, what is the difference with C-c C-j (Message >
>> Send at specified time)?

> The simple answer is that the command C-c C-j does not work in mu4e -
> I asked here about this in a thread on 11/7/15 (don't know how to link
> to it here sorry). Hence I wrote my own version based very closely on
> the gnus code.

Ah, great addition then... :)

Thanks.

Best...

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Mar 26, 2016, 1:23:57 PM3/26/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,
Nice work!

I think at some point, it would be nice to have something like this
integrated with mu4e. But for now, it's great to have your package
available, so we can experiment with it and see what works best.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Ben Maughan

Mar 26, 2016, 5:19:50 PM3/26/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I think it will be tricky to integrate something like this into mu4e as long as
smtpmail-send-it causes emacs to wait while the mail is sent. I switched to using postfix
and sendmail-send-it which works very well but it might be too much extra work for many users to set that up.

Cheers,
Ben