Picking the right sender address and the right signature from bbdb without asking

jl...@laposte.net

Jul 29, 2017, 8:51:20 AM7/29/17
to mu-discuss
I've always wanted to give mu4e a try.
Now that I've installed Debian 9 on my machine and that I can install a recent version of mu4e (with contexts) I've decided to divorce ViewMail and go after Mu4e.  (I had been living with mu4e for more than 20 years)

I've just been a few days with Mu4e and I already love it.

But I must acknowledge that I haven't fine tuned my configuration yet and I miss some of my former mua's features I was so used to.

For instance, I miss vmpc the Personality Crisis package for VM a lot.  It allowed me to write emails to a person with the right sender address, the right dictionary to use flyspell with and the right signature without asking me.  It would just pick the right profile from the bbdb record of that person.  It would even update that bbdb record whenever you decide to change the associated profile.

Is that possible with Mu4e to automate things like vmpc does?  We wouldn't have to select the context, chose the dictionary to use, then select the right signature (formal or informal), etc.

Eduardo Mercovich

Jul 30, 2017, 10:22:25 PM7/30/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi jl.k.

> [...] I miss vmpc the Personality Crisis package for VM a lot.
> It allowed me to write emails to a person with the right sender address, the right dictionary to use flyspell with and the right signature without asking me. It would just pick the right profile
from the bbdb record of that person. It would even update that bbdb
record whenever you decide to change the associated profile.
> Is that possible with Mu4e to automate things like vmpc does? We wouldn't have to select the context, chose the dictionary to use,
then select the right signature (formal or informal), etc.

As I understand, mu4e context system should satisfy all your (hereby expressed) needs. ;)

1. the right context can be selected by hand or by rules (see
https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e/Context-policies.html#Context-policies).

2. the context system gives you access to all variables (see the example in https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e/Contexts-example.html).

If you understand lisp, I believe this is in
https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e/What-are-contexts.html#What-are-contexts.

HTH... :)

--
Eduardo Mercovich