Commonly used together addresses method

Eduardo Mercovich

Apr 14, 2016, 11:01:50 AM4/14/16
to mu-discuss
Dear all.

I have (probably you too) a common use case and like to share how you do
it: a few addresses that are commonly used together, for example, a
small team that is temporary and thus has no mailing list or similar
arranging. In the end you have these 4 to 7 people that are usually
mailed together.

Even if each is only a couple keys (because of helm used with addresses)
it becomes repetitive and not efficient at all.

How do you define an abbreviation for those so you can mail all with a
couple keys? I'm trying abbrev-mode (wich is an all around great tool)
but maybe mu4e native mechanism would be good too, or better somehow...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and current solutions. :)

Best.

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Victor A. Stoichita

Apr 15, 2016, 6:20:10 AM4/15/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Le 14 Apr 2016, Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> a écrit :

> How do you define an abbreviation for those so you can mail all with a
> couple keys? I'm trying abbrev-mode (wich is an all around great tool)
> but maybe mu4e native mechanism would be good too, or better somehow...
>
> Thank you for sharing your thoughts and current solutions. :)

Hi Eduardo. I use mail aliases
(http://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/emacs/html_node/emacs_366.html).
They are really kind of abbrevs I guess. I find them quick to set up,
and quick to use in as well.

Blue skies,
Victor

Ben Maughan

Apr 16, 2016, 5:35:47 PM4/16/16
to mu-discuss, vic...@svictor.net
I also use aliases. They work well enough but if you come up with something better, let us know.

Ben

Eduardo Mercovich

Apr 17, 2016, 6:21:29 PM4/17/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor, hi Ben.

>> [...] How do you define an abbreviation for those so you can mail all with a
>> couple keys? I'm trying abbrev-mode (wich is an all around great tool)
>> but maybe mu4e native mechanism would be good too, or better somehow...

> [...] I use mail aliases
> (http://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/emacs/html_node/emacs_366.html).
> They are really kind of abbrevs I guess. I find them quick to set up,
> and quick to use in as well.

I thought I was using abbrev-mode, but thanks to your reference found
that those were mail-abbrevs. :)

The other method I found is to use .mailrc.

My understanding is that mail-abbrevs seems more powerful inside the
emacsverse but if you use or share aliases with other MUAs, the .mailrc
path seems more interesting because they will all read the same source.

Does someone knows some more variations?

PD: I found funny that in the emacsverse the question is never "is X
possible?" but "what are all the ways to do X and how do they compare?".