Queries not working properly

Brandon Conway

Jun 14, 2016, 9:15:31 PM6/14/16
to mu-discuss
I'm getting very frustrated with queries. I  was trying to make a query which verified that a message wasn't in my spam or trash directories, but it wasn't working. I have made less and less restrictive queries and now I am to this:

date:365d..now AND NOT flag:trashed

No matter what I do, it shows mail that is in the trash (and has the "trashed" flag).

Please help me :-(

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jun 15, 2016, 1:38:16 AM6/15/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,
Are you including "related" messages? When doing so, messages that do
not match the query but are related to messages that do, are included in
the results.

Otherwise, you can try the command-line and some separate parts of your
query, and see if you get the expected results.

mu find flag:trashed
mu find NOT flag:trashed
etc.

If you check for the message file names for trashed files names, ie.

mu find flag:trashed --fields="l"

they should show up with a capital "T" as their last character.

Cheers,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Brandon Conway

Jun 15, 2016, 1:42:48 AM6/15/16
to mu-discuss
You know what, I bet that was the problem. I gave up and wondered if it was some weirdness coming from offlineimap and I deleted my data. I am currently waiting on mbsync to finish syncing. It is much faster, so as long as it works I will keep it anyway. Thank you for your reply, I will definitely test that theory as soon as I can. I kept having a weird issue where I would delete messages then the `\Inbox` label would come right back when I synced, which was the final straw and caused me to try mbsync.

Thanks again,
Brandon

Brandon Conway

Jun 15, 2016, 3:33:16 AM6/15/16
to mu-discuss
That was indeed the problem. I'm happy I switched to mbsync so far though, it is much faster. I was going out of my mind, but now that I understand *why*, the messages will be just fine there. Thanks!