mu4e freezes when open any message through SSH

Tubo Shi

Sep 6, 2017, 8:59:21 PM9/6/17
to mu-discuss
Hi everyone,

I have just set up mbsync + mu/mu4e combo on my VPS, of which I use SSH to login on. Most things work fine, such as searching and moving messages.

Problem:
Emacs and mu4e freezes when I try to open *any* message from folders or searches, with the prompt "waiting for message...".

Problem does not occur if:
- I login in using the "View Console" from the VPS website. Does this mean it's likely a SSH-related issue?
- I open the message from a link, such as an org-mode link. After I open a message like that, the mu4e from that instance works fine. But if I were start a new mu4e ("M-x mu4e"), the new instance has the same problem.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should try next? Otherwise I'll might install mbsync/mu/mu4e locally instead of SSH to the server.

Specs:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Emacs 25.1.1
- tried mu/mu4e 0.9.18 and the latest git version
- tried both offlineimap and isync

Thank you!

--
Tubo

Tubo Shi

Sep 6, 2017, 10:27:44 PM9/6/17
to mu-discuss
Hi,

Just some update. After bisecting my config, the problem was found.

It is to do with emacs themes.

The problem goes away completely once I disable any themes, and reappears if I enable any, including the built-in ones.

Thanks

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Sep 7, 2017, 12:58:07 AM9/7/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday Sep 07 2017, Tubo Shi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just some update. After bisecting my config, the problem was found.
>
> It is to do with emacs themes.
>
> The problem goes away completely once I disable any themes, and reappears
> if I enable any, including the built-in ones.

> Thanks
>
> On Thursday, 7 September 2017 12:59:21 UTC+12, Tubo Shi wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have just set up mbsync + mu/mu4e combo on my VPS, of which I use SSH to
>> login on. Most things work fine, such as searching and moving messages.
>>
>> Problem:
>> Emacs and mu4e freezes when I try to open *any* message from folders or
>> searches, with the prompt "waiting for message...".
>>
>> Problem does not occur if:
>> - I login in using the "View Console" from the VPS website. Does this mean
>> it's likely a SSH-related issue?
>> - I open the message from a link, such as an org-mode link. After I open a
>> message like that, the mu4e from that instance works fine. But if I were
>> start a new mu4e ("M-x mu4e"), the new instance has the same problem.
>>
>> Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should try next? Otherwise I'll
>> might install mbsync/mu/mu4e locally instead of SSH to the server.

Can you still C-g in emacs when this happens? If so, would be useful to
`M-x toggle-debug-on-quit`, reproduce the problem, press C-g and check
the resulting backtrace.

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Tubo Shi

Sep 7, 2017, 1:06:31 AM9/7/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema writes:

> Can you still C-g in emacs when this happens? If so, would be useful to
> `M-x toggle-debug-on-quit`, reproduce the problem, press C-g and check
> the resulting backtrace.

Hi Dirk,

No, C-g doesn't work. Because I run emacs in the terminal, "C-g C-g"
just send the program to the background. If I "fg" it, it would still be
frozen. My only way out was to kill it.

Thanks
--
Tubo Shi