mu running as a daemon?

Adam C

Sep 21, 2017, 4:14:42 AM9/21/17
to mu-discuss
I'm just setting mu4e up. Everything seems to work well, apart from one thing. I read a setup guide that said to run mu index from the command line for the first time. This worked great.

Then, I read that I should set the variable mu4e-get-mail-command, which seems to work well. However, when I run the get mail command I get an error about the xapian files being locked. This is due to mu running in the background. I'm guessing this is to stop two threads overwriting each other and generally borking my mail up. So, how did mu get to run as a daemon? When I try and issue the command mu4e-update-mail-and-index, I get the same error xapian lock error, but it seems to pull my mail in (once I've refreshed the view with 'g')

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong here?
TIA
Adam

Ken Mankoff

Sep 22, 2017, 3:16:30 AM9/22/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I don't run mu or mbsync as a daemon. Do you need this?

I manually fetch mail via "mu4e-update-mail-and-index" when I want to. I find this also reduces email distractions.

I've recently been thinking of running mbsync via cron/LaunchAgents (OS X), and then running "emacsclient -e '(mu4e-update-index)'" if new mail is found.

Alternatively, if you want mu as a daemon, then maybe the mu4e-get-mail-command is just an index update (as above)?

-k.

Eduardo Mercovich

Sep 22, 2017, 3:18:16 PM9/22/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello Adam.

> I'm just setting mu4e up. Everything seems to work well, apart
> from one thing. I read a setup guide that said to run mu index
> from the command line for the first time. This worked great.

You don't need to repeat this step.

> Then, I read that I should set the variable
> mu4e-get-mail-command, which seems to work well. However, when I
> run the get mail command I get an error about the xapian files
> being locked. This is due to mu running in the background.

Yes. I understand that when you open mu4e it runs mu in the
background. If you close mu4e, you'll see that mu shouldn't be
running.

> I'm guessing this is to stop two threads overwriting each other
> and generally borking my mail up. So, how did mu get to run as a
> daemon?

You don't have to... how are you doing it?

> When I try and issue the command mu4e-update-mail-and-index, I
> get the same error xapian lock error, but it seems to pull my
> mail in (once I've refreshed the view with 'g')

Yes, it runs your mail update (mbsync or offlineimap) and then
gives you an error if you include "mu index" in your
mu4e-get-mail-command since mu it's running already.

HTH. :)

Best...

--
Eduardo Mercovich