Outlook madness

Yuri D'Elia

Mar 8, 2016, 2:50:19 PM3/8/16
to mu-discuss
Forgive me in advance for even asking...

It seems that the new default in office/outlook 365 is to send only the
HTML part by default. Great.

Actually, it doesn't make much of a difference, since for at least the
previous version already the text rendering was so bad anyway that I had
a special rule to make an exception for outlook and ignore it.

I'm using the shr library for the HTML part, and I'm quite happy with
the results. I only have two minor cosmetic issues with it, that maybe
some of you can help answer without having to dig into shr too much.

I'd like to ignore the background color entirely. And maybe the main
body's font color. The problem is that I have a reverse color scheme,
and shr will happily render black text on a white background. Annoying.
I could actually fix this by injecting some CSS in the HTML part, if I
had some hook.

The second is outlook's braindead usage of the wingding font. They're
*STILL* replacing smileys with a single letter within the wingding
family. I'm tired of seeing random P and J interspersed in the text.
This is tricker to fix, as I'd need to look for spans with the wingding
font and do the appropriate replacement before the text is rendered. The
actual list of meaningful replacements is a short table:

https://github.com/richq/smileyfixer/blob/master/chrome/content/smileyfixer.js#L60

Any hint/suggestion/idea appreciated.