mu / mu4e fails to decrypt PGP/MIME encrypted message

Charl Botha

Jun 22, 2014, 3:08:59 PM6/22/14
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Using an up-to-date version from github master, my mu4e is perfectly able to verify PGP/MIME signed emails, but fails to decrypt PGP/MIME encrypted emails. It simply shows that there are two attachments (this is to be expected for PGP/MIME), but it doesn't make any further attempt at decryption.

It looks like there are others with the same issue: https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/186 (I've added my information there)

Is there anyone else on the list that perhaps knows of a work-around or a fix for this? At the moment, I do "M-x epa-mail-decrypt" in the raw email view to be able to read the decrypted version, but this has a number of limitations.

Jonas Kalderstam

Jun 23, 2014, 7:21:13 AM6/23/14
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I have experienced this as well but have been using a workaround as follows:

1. Open an *unread* encrypted email - it will be empty except for two attachments
3. Immediately re-open the now *read* encrypted email - decrypted attachment will be displayed

It appears this is only an issue with unread mail. I only discovered this workaround by accident.

Added this information to the GitHub issue as well.

--
Jonas

nils.s...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2018, 7:08:26 AM2/2/18
to mu-discuss
Hello everyone,

can it be that this bug is back?
Especially if an email is sent with AppleMail I receive a message with 2 attachments which i have to decrypt manually.
For mails sent with thunderbird I can use the workaround Jonas proposed.

Does anyone experience the same problem with the latest mu4e verison?

Greets and thanks,
Nils