Preserving HTML email threads

Tim Jones

Nov 16, 2017, 2:45:17 PM11/16/17
to mu-discuss
This question is somewhat prompted by the previous thread on the state of org integration and HTML emails.  I'm in am org where everyone uses HTML email, with lots of images and other stuff, and replying to a thread in mu4e tends to destroy the contents of the thread to that point and for future respondents.  I've had to resort to using :outlook" for most of my emails, which deeply saddens me.  Is there a way to preserve the mime-encoded thread contents when relying?

TIA.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Nov 18, 2017, 4:29:00 AM11/18/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I think what you'd need for that is a rich text editor and a bit of
round-tripping... theoretically, it could be done in emacs, but it'd be
a big project.

Kind regards,
Dirk.
--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Tim Jones

Nov 28, 2017, 2:33:58 PM11/28/17
to mu-discuss

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 1:29:00 AM UTC-8, djcb wrote:

On Thursday Nov 16 2017, Tim Jones wrote:

> emails, which deeply saddens me.  Is there a way to preserve the
> mime-encoded thread contents when relying?

I think what you'd need for that is a rich text editor and a bit of
round-tripping... theoretically, it could be done in emacs, but it'd be
a big project.

Dirk, thanks for the reply and the great work on mu/mu4e.  Does not interacting with previous mails while editing/composing, only preserving the thread, simplify things at all?  Reading already works well with an HTML thread.  Could you cache all those mime parts and then rebuild the message when sending?

Tim Jones

Nov 28, 2017, 2:36:04 PM11/28/17
to mu-discuss
For example, when forwarding an email, everything is preserved, presumably b/c it is all rolled up in a nice mime-encoded package.  Not totally sure how these things work; just throwing our ideas.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Nov 29, 2017, 1:33:07 PM11/29/17
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
We can do that if the original mail is expressed as plain text; it gets
trickier when there's only html.

Now, one could theoretically (but not practically right now, in mu4e)
get a version of the message in its raw html glory, and then edit that.
That would not be very nice, I think...

But something to keep in mind for the future; one path might be using
the gnus editor, which preserves the mime-parts.