How to move a message when there is no header view

Robert Horn

May 4, 2018, 9:44:48 AM5/4/18
to mu-discuss
This situation arises when I follow a mail link in org-mode, open an email message, and want to change the maildir.  Sometimes messages to get into the wrong maildir by mistake and I want to fix this.  The mu4e message view mode opens the message in a view buffer.  But, the "m" command results in an error message that there is no header-view buffer.  This is correct because I got there directly from the link.  But it leaves me with no way to move that message into the correct directory.

I found the mu4e~proc-send-command (frm &rest args) that performs the move.  But, I'm not sure what pre or post processing is needed.  Also, the tilde is a clear warning that this is an internal function and not suitable for reliable use as a user command.

Is there a proper interactive command that does this?

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

May 11, 2018, 7:41:28 AM5/11/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

On Friday May 04 2018, Robert Horn wrote:

> This situation arises when I follow a mail link in org-mode, open an email
> message, and want to change the maildir. Sometimes messages to get into
> the wrong maildir by mistake and I want to fix this. The mu4e message view
> mode opens the message in a view buffer. But, the "m" command results in
> an error message that there is no header-view buffer. This is correct
> because I got there directly from the link. But it leaves me with no way
> to move that message into the correct directory.

When reporting issues, please always carefully mentions versions etc.,
so we're all looking at the same thing. Also, any external packages that
could influence the behavior.

> I found the mu4e~proc-send-command (frm &rest args) that performs the
> move. But, I'm not sure what pre or post processing is needed. Also, the
> tilde is a clear warning that this is an internal function and not suitable
> for reliable use as a user command.

Indeed.

So, when I open an e-mail link, e.g. from an org-mode todo-list with
`C-c C-o' (org-agenda-open-link), mu4e should give you a headers buffer
with just this message + a view, and moving should just work.

Are you doing something special?

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Robert Horn

May 12, 2018, 12:31:46 PM5/12/18
to mu-discuss

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 7:41:28 AM UTC-4, djcb wrote:

Are you doing something special?

The versions are: mu4e 0.9.18C,  emacs 25.3.1, and orgmode 9.0.3.

But, I must be doing something special in addition.  I usually do get a header view as well.  I'm now unable to reproduce the sequence that was causing me the problem earlier.  The header view is being created.  So ignore this until I figure out what else was needed to create the problem.

R Horn