mu4e proposal: do not repeat subject line when repeated in a thread

Eduardo Mercovich

Jan 27, 2015, 4:00:33 PM1/27/15
to Mu Discuss
Hi everyone.

Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
repeat the subject line in a threaded view?

Rationale:
+ the repeated line doesn't add more information, but more clutter.
+ it is clearer how many "issues" (threads) we have open, even if a big
one takes a lot of screen space, it's only one "block".
+ subject lines act as information and at the same time, block
separators.

What do you think about this?

As an example, you'll find attached 2 screenshots (of the org-mode
list): one with the full threads, and other with the repeated blanked,
so you can see how it may be.

The idea it's not not original, nor mine. I saw something like this
some time ago when searching for emacs email packages but now I can't
find the reference image. From a UX point of view, makes perfect
sense.

Thanks... :)

mu4e-Proposal-DontRepeatSubject.png

Joost Kremers

Jan 27, 2015, 5:01:18 PM1/27/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 27 2015, Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
> repeat the subject line in a threaded view?

I would second this.

> The idea it's not not original, nor mine. I saw something like this
> some time ago when searching for emacs email packages but now I can't
> find the reference image. From a UX point of view, makes perfect
> sense.

It's also the way mutt does it. And it's something I missed in mu4e when
I switched...

BTW, when scrolling a thread off the top of the screen, mutt keeps the
subject visible in the first message that is still visible. That would
be a nice addition...

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

Ken Mankoff

Jan 27, 2015, 8:27:17 PM1/27/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

* On 2015-01-27 at 17:01, Joost Kremers <joostk...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27 2015, Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
>> repeat the subject line in a threaded view?
>
> I would second this.

I support this too. I came from pine (alpine) which had collapsable
threads and had thread-display options of:

( ) none
( ) show-thread-structure
( ) mutt-like
( ) indent-subject-1
(*) indent-subject-2
( ) indent-from-1
( ) indent-from-2
( ) show-structure-in-from

And I'm happy to send screenshots of any of these if people want to see
what they look like.

-k.

Xavier Maillard

Jan 28, 2015, 12:47:07 AM1/28/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Please do so even I can imagine for some of them, I'd to see the rendering of each
of these options.

Regards
--
Xavier
Sent with my mu4e

color.r...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 2:37:03 AM1/28/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea.

-Adam

Ken Mankoff

Jan 28, 2015, 4:50:02 AM1/28/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xavier,

See attachments, named as the option list shown below.

-k.

show_thead_structure.png
mutt-like.png
indent-subject-1.png
indent-subject-2.png
indent-from-1.png
indent-from-2.png
show-structure-in-from.png

Eduardo Mercovich

Jan 28, 2015, 9:04:25 AM1/28/15
to Mu Discuss

Hi!

> See attachments, named as the option list shown below.

Ken, thanks a lot for your screenshots.
"mutt-like" is the proposed one, but I can see that the others may find their usecases too... :)

And thanks again for finding the source. I've most probably seen it while evaluating emacs MUAs and reviewing mutt also...

Xavier Maillard

Jan 28, 2015, 5:06:23 PM1/28/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Ken Mankoff <man...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Xavier,
>
> See attachments, named as the option list shown below.

Thanks for that. If I had to choose, I'd probably take
'indent-subject' formats.
--
Sent with my mu4e

Damien Cassou

Jan 29, 2015, 9:23:15 AM1/29/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eduardo,
Eduardo Mercovich writes:
> Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
> repeat the subject line in a threaded view?

I love the proposal. Please push it.

Thanks

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Eduardo Mercovich

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02:09 AM1/29/15
to Mu Discuss

Hi.

> > Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
> > repeat the subject line in a threaded view?

> > [...]

> I love the proposal. Please push it.

Thanks. Can I assume this means to put it as a request in the repository?
Dirk, what do you think about it? How difficult could it be to do this?

Best...

Xavier Maillard

Jan 29, 2015, 4:27:21 PM1/29/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
>> > Just to discuss the idea, what could happen if mu4e list view doesn't
>> > repeat the subject line in a threaded view?
>> > [...]
>
>> I love the proposal. Please push it.
>
> Thanks. Can I assume this means to put it as a request in the
> repository?

Please, yes. FR/PR it on github !

--
Xavier

Eduardo Mercovich

Feb 1, 2015, 11:02:42 AM2/1/15
to Mu Discuss

Hi Xavier.

> > Thanks. Can I assume this means to put it as a request in the
> > repository?

> Please, yes. FR/PR it on github !

I'm quite offline these days, so sorry if it takes me some time, but I will for sure. :)
BTW, sorry the ignorance, but searching didn't helped me... what FR/PR means? Feature Request or something similar? :)

Best...

Foivos S. Zakkak

Feb 1, 2015, 12:06:38 PM2/1/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, FR stands for Feature Request and PR for Pull Request (in
case you can code a patch).

Cheers,
Foivos

--
PGP: 7B40 69D9 29BA AE91 C0B3 220A 0846 BFD1 03F0 4EA1
signature.asc

Xavier Maillard

Feb 2, 2015, 12:39:30 AM2/2/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Joost Kremers <joostk...@fastmail.fm> writes:

> BTW, when scrolling a thread off the top of the screen, mutt keeps the
> subject visible in the first message that is still visible. That would
> be a nice addition...

Smart and useful !

I would appreciate to see such feature too.

Eduardo Mercovich

Feb 10, 2015, 3:12:20 PM2/10/15
to Mu Discuss
Hi Xavier.

> Please, yes. FR/PR it on github !

I just did it (it is my first time).
https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/577

Is it ok?

Best...

Christopher Miles

Mar 24, 2015, 11:21:49 PM3/24/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
This is really great, save many of my eye sight.

Xavier Maillard

Mar 25, 2015, 1:22:20 AM3/25/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Christopher Miles <numb...@gmail.com> writes:

> This is really great, save many of my eye sight.

I agree. Will this be proposed as a patch and submited per se in the
mu4e repository ?

Regards
-- Xavier.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Mar 25, 2015, 5:15:32 AM3/25/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
There is (experimental) support for this in master; use :thread-subject
instead of :subject in your mu4e-headers-fields.

Cheers,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Eduardo Mercovich

Mar 26, 2015, 8:35:50 AM3/26/15
to Mu Discuss

Thanks a lot Dirk... :)

Xavier Maillard

Mar 27, 2015, 1:53:07 AM3/27/15
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <dj...@djcbsoftware.nl> writes:

> On Wednesday Mar 25 2015, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>
>> Christopher Miles <numb...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This is really great, save many of my eye sight.
>>
>> I agree. Will this be proposed as a patch and submited per se in the
>> mu4e repository ?
>
> There is (experimental) support for this in master; use :thread-subject
> instead of :subject in your mu4e-headers-fields.

I should subscribe to mu4e's master repository from github to get
that information ! :)

Thank you very much !
-- Xavier.