mu4e stuck 'searching'

Ian Hocking

Apr 3, 2018, 11:44:03 AM4/3/18
to mu-discuss
Hi all

If anyone could help me with below, I'd appreciate it. The issue seems very simple but I'm finding it difficult to troubleshoot. Mu4e's 'messages' contain no obvious errors, and neither does the mu log. I'm fairly new to Emacs. Previous mailer was mutt.

I'm running mu4e 1.0 in Spacemacs 0.20...@25.3.1 on macOS 10.13.3. My system gets emails via offlineimap and drops them into ~/.mail.

When I (manually) update mail and index within mu4e, I get some initial messages suggesting the indexer is running, eg.:

[mu4e] Started mu4e with 190888 messages in store
[mu4e] Contacts received: 11397
[mu4e] Found 13 matching messages

However, once this process starts, it does not seem to stop. That is, if I try another operation in this instance of mu4e that involves mu, such as a simple search, I get the text 'Searching...' where the emails should appear. This text remains indefinitely.

From the command line, mu completes the indexing quickly and with no errors.

I can can work around this by quitting mu4e, waiting for the server for stop (a few seconds), then restarting mu4e. Normal behaviour is then restored.

So it seems to me that the 'updating' operation isn't completing (or is otherwise is fully occupying the server). Does anyone have any ideas why the indexing operation would get stuck?

Cheers

Ian

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Apr 4, 2018, 1:03:54 AM4/4/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, it seems as if mu is still busy with something; you should see
something like:

[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 9000, updated 1
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 9813, updated 4, cleaned-up 0

Since you're able to stop mu (by quitting mu4e), it seems mu is not
hanging or in some busy loop. Perhaps you can try without Spacemacs?
(that's a long shot, but worth trying).

Can you file an issue on github?

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland
e:dj...@djcbsoftware.nl w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

Ian Hocking

Apr 5, 2018, 6:17:51 AM4/5/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dirk

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll file an issue on the Spacemacs github page.

Cheers

Ian

Dr Ian Hocking

Ian Hocking

Apr 5, 2018, 7:44:49 AM4/5/18
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Dirk, I've been pottering about and when I added the following (from your manual), my issues disappeared:

```
;; Speed up indexing
  (setq
   mu4e-index-cleanup nil      ;; don't do a full cleanup check
   mu4e-index-lazy-check t)    ;; don't consider up-to-date dirs
```

mu4e now indexes quickly and completes; the mu daemon exits cleanly when I quit mu4e.

Cheers

Ian