office 365 (exchange contacts) online adressbook

Thorsten Grothe

May 3, 2016, 10:42:28 AM5/3/16
to mu-discuss
Dear mu-users,

I swiched from Thunderbird to mu4e and I'm really happy with it - great client!

Now I setup my work accout with mbsync and everything works fine. But how can I access to
the online adressbook? In Thunderbird one can install a plugin and if you hit tab you got address completion with all adresses stored on the
exchange server (exchange contacts).

This are some basic server information

Imap Server: outlook.office365.com

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Thorsten

Eduardo Mercovich

May 9, 2016, 3:29:39 PM5/9/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thorsten.

> I swiched from Thunderbird to mu4e and I'm really happy with it -
> great client! [...] how can I access to the online adressbook? [...]

There is no mu4e solution that I know of, but if you don't mind a little
batch operation instead of instant online update, you can regularly
download the addressbook, convert it to a simple list in a file and mu4e
can add that file to it's list of addresses.

There were some mails on this same list about how to include addresses
like that and it only takes a little effort.

Also, if you pair that with John Kitchin mu4e helm contact selector
(http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/03/14/A-helm-mu4e-contact-selector/),
you'll have everything and the kitchen sink. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos
con las necesidades del mundo,
ahí está tu vocación.

Thorsten Grothe

May 9, 2016, 5:16:31 PM5/9/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eduardo,

thank you very much for your response!

Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo....@gmail.com> writes:

> There is no mu4e solution that I know of, but if you don't mind
> a little batch operation instead of instant online update, you
> can regularly download the addressbook, convert it to a simple
> list in a file and mu4e can add that file to it's list of
> addresses.

no problem with a batch update, maybe a script could download
every day the newest addresses and a cron job could automate this,
nice and simple idea :-)

At the moment I have no idea how to get the addresses from the
server, but I think a bit of googeling should help to find this
out!

> There were some mails on this same list about how to include
> addresses like that and it only takes a little effort.

Ah good to know, I will search the list for that!

> Also, if you pair that with John Kitchin mu4e helm contact
> selector
> (http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/03/14/A-helm-mu4e-contact-selector/),
> you'll have everything and the kitchen sink. :)

Nice tool, I like helm very much, so I will have a deeper look on
that!

Regards
Thorsten

Eduardo Mercovich

May 10, 2016, 7:48:25 AM5/10/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thorsten.

>> There is no mu4e solution that I know of, but if you don't mind
>> a little batch operation [...]

> no problem with a batch update, maybe a script could download
> every day the newest addresses and a cron job could automate this,
> nice and simple idea :-)

I'm happy you liked it.

[...]

>> Also, if you pair that with John Kitchin mu4e helm contact
>> selector
>> (http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/03/14/A-helm-mu4e-contact-selector/),
>> you'll have everything and the kitchen sink. :)

> Nice tool, I like helm very much, so I will have a deeper look on
> that!

Helm is to emacs what butter to bread... ;)

Best regards...