Some whishes for mail composing

Florian Lindner

Jul 8, 2016, 8:17:34 AM7/8/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I happily use mu4e and I think the mail compose mode has some room for (small) improvements

1) Multi-level coloring, e.g.

> > second level quote, green
> first level quote, red
text, whatever color

2) Insert citation marks when a quoted block gets inserted a line break:
> First question? Second question?

becomes, when inserted a newline between the two questions:
> First question?

> Second questions?

3) Trim blocks of citation marks if the paragraph is beong split:
> Some paragraph
>
> Some other paragraph

becomes, when inserted a newline at the end of the first paragraph:

> Some paragraph

> Some other paragraph

These are no crucial features but would make life a bit nicer when composing messages. I have experienced feature 1 and 2 working in KMail.

However, I suppose this is not mu4e issue, but more related to Emacs compose mode.

Still, I will post it here firstly to get some ideas and feedback. Maybe one of these features is already present?

Best Regards,
Florian

Eduardo Mercovich

Jul 8, 2016, 11:08:44 PM7/8/16
to Mu Discuss

Hi Florian.

At least feature 1 is already there. See "customize-face"

I use this to show older quotes as more "faded":
'(mu4e-cited-1-face ((t :inherit mu4e-rw-default :foreground "Gray20")))
'(mu4e-cited-2-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-1-face :foreground "Gray40")))
'(mu4e-cited-3-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-2-face :foreground "Gray60")))
'(mu4e-cited-4-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-3-face :foreground "Gray70")))
'(mu4e-cited-5-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-4-face :foreground "Gray80")))
'(mu4e-cited-6-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-5-face :foreground "Gray90")))
'(mu4e-cited-7-face ((t :inherit mu4e-cited-6-face :foreground "Gray99")))

Sorry I'm not on my computer to search and format better... :)

Best.

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos
 con las necesidades del mundo,
 ahí está tu vocación.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema

Jul 9, 2016, 5:02:37 PM7/9/16
to mu-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Florian,

On Friday Jul 08 2016, Florian Lindner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I happily use mu4e and I think the mail compose mode has some room for (small) improvements
>
> 1) Multi-level coloring, e.g.
>
>> > second level quote, green
>> first level quote, red
> text, whatever color

View-mode has support for support (up to 7 levels! talk about
over-engineering :), but mu4e-compose-mode does not. I've just pushed a
few changes that make it respect mu4e-settings a bit better
(mu4e-compose-mode is derived from message-mode).

There's no true multi-level coloring yet, but that could be added.

> 2) Insert citation marks when a quoted block gets inserted a line break:
>> First question? Second question?
>
> becomes, when inserted a newline between the two questions:
>> First question?
>
>> Second questions?
>
> 3) Trim blocks of citation marks if the paragraph is beong split:
>> Some paragraph
>>
>> Some other paragraph
>
> becomes, when inserted a newline at the end of the first paragraph:
>
>> Some paragraph
>

>> Some other paragraph
>

> These are no crucial features but would make life a bit nicer when
> composing messages. I have experienced feature 1 and 2 working in
> KMail.
>
> However, I suppose this is not mu4e issue, but more related to Emacs
> compose mode.
>
> Still, I will post it here firstly to get some ideas and
> feedback. Maybe one of these features is already present?

Sound like interesting ideas! Perhaps someone has done something already
for message mode (gnus etc.) that can be re-used?

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema Helsinki, Finland