Changing PATH variable after git installation

mir.h...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2015, 7:08:20 AM8/8/15
to Git for Windows

Hi everyone.

I have a question related to git installations on a windows 10 machine, (though it will probably be equivalent on a 7 or 8 machine as well.)

During my initial installation of git I selected the option to allow git to be used from the command line

Now, however, I would like to UNDO that setting and remove whatever edits the git installation process made to my path variable.

Uninstalling has been the only thing I have tried thus far and it has proven ineffective. Any advice on where to look or what changes git makes during the installation are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mir

Johannes Schindelin

Aug 8, 2015, 7:58:03 AM8/8/15
to mir.h...@gmail.com, Git for Windows
Hi,

On 2015-08-08 08:07, mir.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> During my initial installation of git I selected the option to allow
> git to
> be used from the command line
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TSp0C-mMlK0/VcWbShr9kKI/AAAAAAAANMM/JUOCahEqK5k/s1600/gitsetup.png>
>
> Now, however, I would like to UNDO that setting and remove whatever
> edits
> the git installation process made to my path variable.
>
> Uninstalling has been the only thing I have tried thus far and it has
> proven ineffective. Any advice on where to look or what changes git
> makes
> during the installation are appreciated.

It *should* work. You could also try reinstalling with a different
option. Or you simply direct your Windows Explorer to "My Computer",
select "Properties" and edit the "Environment Variables..." (depending
on your Windows version, it might also be "This PC", then "Properties"
and clicking "Advanced System Properties"; you should find the
"Environment Variables..." button in the "Advanced" tab).

Ciao,
Johannes