Git Diff crash with addition of submodule

已查看 76 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

未读,
2011年7月28日 16:49:552011/7/28
收件人 msysGit
Hello,

I am new to Git and still learning. I encounter a problem of using git
diff with submodule

My setting:
Win7, MsysGit portable 1.7.4 and 1.7.6 portable, using windows command
prompt

Problem scenario:
1. git diff work with no problem when no submodule is added
2. after a submodule is added, both "git diff" & "git diff HEAD" crash
the command prompt, however, "git diff --cached" executed with correct
output.
3. no problem observed in bash shell.

If there are any info I could provide to help to investigate this
problem, please let me know.

Thanks
Chris

Michael Geddes

未读,
2011年7月28日 20:01:052011/7/28
收件人 msy...@googlegroups.com、kowloon...@gmail.com
One way that really helps narrow down the problem, is to provide a shell
script (or at a pinch, a batch file), that reproduces the problem from scratch
(ie creates a repo, creates all the files, creates a new repo makes it a
submodule of the first, etc, etc.. also cleans up after itself and returns a
0/1 for success failure)

It makes it much easier to test, but also it can be used in a git bisect to
work out where the problem was introduced.

There are not many msysGit developers, and they have other jobs, so the more
you can do, the better :)

> Thanks
> Chris

//.ichael G.

K Gateway

未读,
2011年7月29日 03:12:132011/7/29
收件人 Michael Geddes、msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

It seems the some of the attachments in my last mail are rejected by mail server. I rename the batch file and re-send it again. Please rename the gitprob.txt -> gitprob.bat for execution.  Hope it can come through the mail server.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM, K Gateway <kowloon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Michael,
Many thanks for your response.

I have created a batch file to demonstrate the crash of my command prompt. Please refer to the attached batch file. (gitprob.bat)

My PATH environment is also included in "path.txt".
My installation directory is E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit
I have
E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit
E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit\cmd
E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit\bin
 included in my PATH

Finally, an error message is occasionally displayed after the  crash ( as attached in GitDiffError.pnd file). It's in Chinese.
The title of the error message windows say: chcp.com - application Error
The bod of the error message say: application cannot start properly (0xc0000142). Please press "OK" to close the application.

I hope this helps you to better examined the crash. If there are any help I can offer further, please let me know

Thanks
Chris
path.txt
GitDiffError.png
gitprob.txt

Michael Geddes

未读,
2011年8月1日 06:25:032011/8/1
收件人 msy...@googlegroups.com、K Gateway
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM, K Gateway <kowloon...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hello Michael,
> > Many thanks for your response.

No problems.

> > I have created a batch file to demonstrate the crash of my command
> > prompt. Please refer to the attached batch file. (gitprob.bat)
> >
> > My PATH environment is also included in "path.txt".
> > My installation directory is E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit
> > I have
> > E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit
> > E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit\cmd
> > E:\Software\Portable Apps\MsysGit\MsysGit\bin

It looks like it's to do with chcp which is utilised in git.cmd - it's a
painful program, but you probably need it given you're obviously dealing with
chinese here.

If you type chcp at the cmd prompt, what codepage does it show?

> > included in my PATH
> >
> > Finally, an error message is occasionally displayed after the crash ( as
> > attached in GitDiffError.pnd file). It's in Chinese.
> > The title of the error message windows say: chcp.com - application Error
> > The bod of the error message say: application cannot start properly
> > (0xc0000142). Please press "OK" to close the application.

You might even be able to put some echo commands into your git.cmd to find out
which call to chcp is causing the problems.

> > I hope this helps you to better examined the crash. If there are any help
> > I can offer further, please let me know
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris

//.ichael G.

K Gateway

未读,
2011年8月1日 07:30:562011/8/1
收件人 Michael Geddes、msy...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Code page in command prompt: 437

2. By inserting echo in git.cmd as you suggested, it seems that it crash when line 23 of git.cmd is executed.

3. BTW, I also test the same gitprob.bat script under Windows PowerShell and also resulted in the same crash. Code page in PowerShell is 950

4. Another new observation today. as i re-run the script for a couple of times ( of course it also crash every time) I see another error message ( see attached conhost.png). The title of the error message window is conhost.exe - application error. The message in the error message window body is 0x77cc1f88 instruction referencing memory 0x0020001f, that
memory cannot be read.

I also attach the reports generated by windows (the other three files attached, can be read by notepad) after the crash, not sure if it helps.

If there are any addition info I can provide, please let me know

Thanks
Chris

2011/8/1 Michael Geddes <mic...@wheelycreek.net>
WER3242.tmp.appcompat.txt
conhost.png
Report.wer
WER95F2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Justin Dearing

未读,
2012年2月11日 13:26:552012/2/11
收件人 msy...@googlegroups.com
I two have this problem on any repository I create with submodules. I am using standard US english versions of windows7 Ultimate . I don't recall ever doing this on Windows XP. However, it happens on at least two WIndows 7 instances. It works just fine on my Windows 8 developer preview.

The service in question can be found here: https://github.com/justaprogrammer/EchoService/

Peter Harris

未读,
2012年2月11日 19:20:532012/2/11
收件人 Justin Dearing、msy...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Justin Dearing wrote:
> I two have this problem on any repository I create with submodules. I am
> using standard US english versions of windows7 Ultimate . I don't recall
> ever doing this on Windows XP. However, it happens on at least two WIndows 7
> instances. It works just fine on my Windows 8 developer preview.

Is the crash fixed by the application of Microsoft's hotfix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458000

Peter Harris

Justin Dearing

未读,
2012年2月12日 21:06:412012/2/12
收件人 msy...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I only replied to Peter. This worked, and made mention of the solution on stackoverflow.
回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子