Unable to see all tags in gitk

lucas...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2015, 11:01:30 AM1/22/15
to msy...@googlegroups.com
1st off, I've asked this in several forums and the question isn't even published.

Why is that?  It's a legit question in git for windows.

$ git version
git version 1.9.5.msysgit.0

Prior to the current version all tags showed in gitk in a list, now with multiple tags I only see 'n tags'

Is there a way to revert this?

gitk.JPG

Konstantin Khomoutov

Jan 22, 2015, 11:31:58 AM1/22/15
to lucas...@gmail.com, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:01:30 -0800 (PST)
lucas...@gmail.com wrote:

> 1st off, I've asked this in several forums and the question isn't
> even published.
>
> Why is that? It's a legit question in git for windows.

Uh, I've seen your original post, just had no time to investigate the
problem back then.

> $ git version
> git version 1.9.5.msysgit.0
>
> Prior to the current version all tags showed in gitk in a list, now
> with multiple tags I only see 'n tags'

This appears to be commit ec418bcfd0196a1d02827a703faeb846c89592d3
(see [1] if you don't want to clone the Git repo; especially line 6450
there, and the hunk it starts).

The code seems to fold several tags if their count is above a certain
threshold which (there in the line 6441) seems to be hard-coded to be 3.

> Is there a way to revert this?

Well, yes, by putting

if {false} {

just above line 6450 and

}

just below line 6460.

This is a quick and dirty hack; you might as well clone the Git
repository, fork a branch off the tag marking the 1.9.5 release,
then do

git revert -n ec418bcfd

then `git checkout --patch` all the hunks you wish to leave as is,
then commit and replace your gitk script file with the resulting file.

You might want to bring this problem up with the upstream as well --
please see [2] on how to properly post to the main Git list.
Please note that this list has nothing to do with your problem as Git
for Windows merely uses the upstream's gitk.

1. https://github.com/git/git/commit/ec418bcfd0196a1d02827a703faeb846c89592d3#diff-3abbb99d783a12568ec3bd613efb4be7
2. https://gist.github.com/tfnico/4441562