Paav chhoo lene do phoolon ko (Taj Mahal)

Suresh Menon

Feb 9, 2011, 2:33:35 PM2/9/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Not a satisfactory translation. Sahir is Sahir!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mdzgekpNNs

Song: Paav chhoo lene do
Movie: Taj Mahal (1963)
Singers: Mohd. Rafi & Lata Mangeshkar
Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi
Music: Roshan

Ra: Paav chhoo lene do phoolon ko inaayat hogi, inaayat hogi
Varna hum ko nahi, inko bhi shikaayat hogi, shikaayat hogi

La: Aap jo phool bichhaaye unhe hum thukraaye
Hum ko dar hain...
Hum ko dar hain ke yeh tauheen-e-muhabbat hogi,
Muhabbat hogi

Ra: Dil ki bechayn umangon pe karam farmaao
Itna ruk ruk...
Itna ruk ruk ke chalogi to qayaamat hogi, qayaamat hogi
Qayamat hogi

La: Sharm roke hain idhar, shauk udhar kheenche hain
Kya khabhar thhi...
Kya khabar thhi is dil ki yeh haalat hogi
Yeh haalat hogi

Ra: Sharm gairon se hua karti hain apnon se nahi
Sharm hum se....
Sharm hum se bhi karoge to museebat hogi
Museebat hogi
Rafi:
Let your feet touch these flowers,
So that they know the acceptance of love
Else, not me, they will have complaints against you

Lata:
I rejected the flowers you spread all over the place
I fear that it would be a gross affront to your love

Rafi:
Please have mercy on the craving emotions of the heart
If you walk in such a slow enticing manner,
It'll be a day of judgement

Lata:
On one hand my coyness stops me, on the other,
I get pulled over by passion
Who knew that this would be the state of the heart!

Rafi:
Shyness is normally with strangers, but not with your own ones
If you express bashfulness before me, it'll be terrible

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 3:13:06 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
I've listened to the song many times,but without really understanding (now I realize it)
I think you've done a quite decent job Suresh.

After you started this translation series,listening/viewing these songs have taken me to another level of appreciation.

Variath Kutty

Feb 10, 2011, 9:07:44 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
I just read the translation.  Thanks. You have to appreciate the romantic heart of these lyricists! Such a different way of saying things.

v m k

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 9:22:16 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, fully agree. Just look at these lines:

I rejected the flowers you spread all over the place
I fear that it would be a gross affront to your love

The flowers were strewn all over the floor by him, so that she could walk over them, feeling the soft touch. But she says she rejected those flowers, as she felt walking over them would be insulting his love! In the video, you can see her walking, trying her best to avoid stepping on the flowers.

That's Sahir Ludhianvi for you. The extremely popular song "Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayaal aata hain" was penned by him.

There's another song of his which I adore a lot: Chalo ik baar phir se ajnabi ban jaaye hum dono (come on, let's be strangers once again)

Variath Kutty

Feb 10, 2011, 9:25:55 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
When you get some time, could we please give us a translation of that song you like?   Thanks.

v m k

Variath Kutty

Feb 10, 2011, 9:26:20 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry typo - could you please...

vmk

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 9:34:39 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
'chalo ek baar' will be after the Valentines day celebrations Kuttyetta

Sahir Ludhiyanvi was Amrita Preetam's lover,right?
347.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 9:34:56 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
I will, but not now, as that song might throw out the 'happy' romantic mood of the present.

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 9:39:50 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Jayashree, here is what Wiki says:

Sahir Ludhianvi remained a bachelor all his life, he had two failed love affairs with journalist Amrita Preetam and singer/actress Sudha Malhotra. These relationships had left him an embittered man. He took to drinking heavily and drank himself deep into alcoholism. The tragedies and pathos of his personal life most truly reflected in his poignant poetry.

His relationship with Amrita Pritam was so passionate that at one time, while attending a press conference, Amrita wrote his name hundreds of times on a sheet of paper. The two of them would meet without saying a word and Sahir would puff away with his cigarettes, and after he left, Amrita would smoke the cigarette butts left by him. After his death, she hoped the smoke from her cigarettes would meet him in the other world.

It is said that when Sahir was courting Amrita Pritam, he built a taller house in front of Amrita Pritam's residence in Ludhiana to show her father that he could afford a house. This statement is a fallacy derived from the Hindi film Tere Ghar Ke Samne. Sahir's economic position at the time was pitiful, so 'building a house' would be out of the question; and secondly, Amrita Pritam does not belong to Ludhiana but to Amritsar; and the "love of her life" was another Urdu shayar, Imroz, as detailed extensively in her autobiography, written in Punjabi for which she got a Sahitya Academy Award.

347.gif

Variath Kutty

Feb 10, 2011, 9:42:16 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
o.k. if it is one of those morose melancholy songs.. we can wait. Thanks Jayashree for the warning and Suresh for your consideration.

v m k

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 9:43:54 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Whay does "Come on, let's be strangers once again" mean to you?
360.gif

Sunny Joseph

Feb 10, 2011, 9:43:55 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting.. had not known about his story...

Sunny
347.gif

Sunny Joseph

Feb 10, 2011, 9:44:30 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
To fall in love again....:-)
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 9:45:53 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Sunny, your imagination is spreading its wings.. good one!!!
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 9:58:04 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Suresh you must be knowing the Malayalam counterpart of 'Chalo ek bar' isn't it?
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 9:55:45 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Oh yea,I've read about this cigarette butts.
I think this Imroz was with her till the end.
347.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 9:59:33 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Come on Suresh,don't ever underestimate other people's experience
330.gif
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 10:07:53 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
I did not underestimate anything. I just meant that the opening lines were suggestive of the 'morose melancholy' song that VMK sir could expect

Sorry if that gave the wrong message..
330.gif
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 10:19:47 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Oops.. I think I messed up here! Perhaps you were asking about  a Malayalam song having a similar theme...
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:02:05 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
സ്മൈലി കണ്ടില്ലേ?
330.gif
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:02:38 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:02:52 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 11:03:19 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Anyway, which is that song in Malayalam?
330.gif
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 11:04:25 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
आप पहेलियाँ बुझा रहे हैं!
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:04:38 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Ayyooo what is happening???
By the time I type the whole thing it is going off.

I was about to say-
No that was a different question
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 11:06:11 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
This nesting of emails in gmail is driving me to nuts!!! The forum was so much better...
360.gif

Jayashree (Bhoomiputhri)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:33:15 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
Is this a song?
Anyway,the chalo ek bar' movie (forgot the name) was remade as 'vivaahitha' and the song was 'maayaajaalaka vaathil thurakkum'
360.gif

Suresh Menon

Feb 10, 2011, 11:39:05 AM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com
It's not a song. I meant that you are into riddles (paheliyaan)

Goodness me! Never knew that. But 'maayajaalaka vaathil thurakkum' sounds better in terms of mood.
360.gif

vikas s

Feb 10, 2011, 12:48:10 PM2/10/11
to msi-...@googlegroups.com