Which is the latest version of paho-mqtt?

Mojca Miklavec

Jun 10, 2016, 5:46:54 AM6/10/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I know that this is probably the wrong mailing list, but I had no luck
on irc from Eclipse, so please excuse me for being a tiny bit
off-topic.

I'm super confused about the latest version of python bindings for
paho-mqtt. I'm maintaining the package for MacPorts. I upgraded it to
version 1.2, but now some scripts (from our package manager) are
complaining that the latest release is 1.1.

The site
http://www.eclipse.org/paho/
says "latest release: 1.1"

The repository
https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.python/releases
lists version 1.2, but
http://git.eclipse.org/c/paho/org.eclipse.paho.mqtt.python.git/
doesn't.

There exists
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/paho-mqtt/1.2
but
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/paho-mqtt/
lists version 1.1.

Does anyone know what exactly is going on?

Thank you,
Mojca

Ian Craggs

Jun 10, 2016, 8:07:13 AM6/10/16
to MQTT
Hi Mojca,

we've been moving Eclipse Paho git repositories from Eclipse to Github over the past few months, but that move isn't yet totally complete.  For the Python client, the Github repo is the source of all truth, and the Eclipse one is deprecated and will be deleted.

We are in the process of releasing a new version of Paho clients - this was supposed to happen last week, but we didn't gain the necessary approvals from the Eclipse Foundation in time.  This should now happen next week (June 15th).  Release 1.2 of the Python client is part of that Paho release.   I hadn't realized that Roger had already made 1.2 of the Python client available, which strictly shouldn't happen.  So the most recent version of the Python client is 1.2, and next week if/when we get the approvals, the website and all else will be in sync.

Ian

Roger Light

Jun 10, 2016, 8:09:43 AM6/10/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mojca,

This is my fault, I jumped the gun a bit by running my release script
by mistake. Having realised my mistake I couldn't really go back and
remove entries from the git repository so I thought the best option
would be to hide the 1.2 release on pypi.

Cheers,

Roger
> --
> To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
> ---

Mojca Miklavec

Jun 17, 2016, 4:57:37 AM6/17/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com

On 10 June 2016 at 14:09, Roger Light wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> This is my fault, I jumped the gun a bit by running my release script
> by mistake. Having realised my mistake I couldn't really go back and
> remove entries from the git repository so I thought the best option
> would be to hide the 1.2 release on pypi.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger

Thanks a lot to both for the explanation. This perfectly explains the
situation. I must have run a "check for new versions" exactly during
the tiny window. I just kept the version 1.2 in our package manager
(going back and forth would be a bit painful and I doubt that any
significant number of people use that package from MacPorts anyway and
we don't package any other component from Paho).

Mojca