MQTT v5 visual analysis

Alex Robenko

Jun 1, 2017, 8:50:50 PM6/1/17
to MQTT
Hi all,
For last couple of years I've been developing a C++(11) headers only library (called COMMS), which makes implementation of custom binary protocols to be relatively easy and quick process. The developer specifies WHAT needs to be implemented using simple declarative statements of types and classes definition, the library handles the HOW part.

As part of the project I also develop plugin-based QT5 GUI application which allows visual debugging and analysis of the exchanged messages.

I used the COMMS library to define MQTT v3.1.1 messages a long time ago and recently added definitions for v5 (wd13) fields and messages (see my https://github.com/arobenko/mqtt project). There are also protocol definition plug-ins to the mentioned earlier GUI application.

We all know that MQTT v5 is on its way and if anyone here is working on implementation of v5 broker or client library, my work can be used for quicker and easier debugging. There are a several wiki pages that explain how my tool can be used as proxy server to observe the exchanged traffic between client and broker, or to be pretend broker / client. If you have a printed dump of the raw bytes somewhere in your terminal, the GUI tool can also be used to parse the provided bytes and help to visualize all the exchanged messages.

If you would like to use it, I recommend building full solution from provided build instructions. The build has been tested with gcc, clang, and Visual Studio 2015 compilers.

I'll appreciate any feedback, questions, especially bug reports.

Regards,
Alex