Feedback on protocol for Chat

Harshit Bangar

Dec 22, 2015, 7:00:22 AM12/22/15
to MQTT
Hi Guys,
 I am writing a new protocol based on mqtt for chat. The idea is to create an open protocol which can be used an external interface (like XMPP is used by Gtalk). I am drafting a version here - https://github.com/bangarharshit/Mqtt-chat.
Few things such as different subscriptions when your app is in background and when it is in foreground helps reduce the bandwidth (since incoming packets are 1000x more if you have 1000 friends). I can think of client state with each topic whether it needs to be delivered, dropped, or clubbed when your app is in background. Similarly I can think of client with few more states just apart from connected, disconnected. I would love to know your feedback.  Please fork, write your thoughts on implementation, concepts, and send me a pull request.

Abdul Hakeem

Dec 22, 2015, 11:58:09 AM12/22/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Is it possible to use this with SIP SIMPLE interface from Freeswitch or any other SIP Proxy/SBC ?.

Cheers,

AH

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Harshit Bangar

Dec 22, 2015, 12:09:52 PM12/22/15
to MQTT
Thanks. SIP proxy is on the line. I can think of quick implementation based on this - https://github.com/pchab/ProjectRTC - Simply build a separate topic as a sub topic of your group url groupchat/call so that everyone will receive the url since they are subscribed to groupchat/*. Upload all your sdp and ice candidates so  as to initiate the call. Not sure how to extend it to group though. One possible way is to replace groupchat/call with groupchat/memberid where everyone publishes their information on their channel and you receive the updates for every user in your group. At the same time we don't want these information offline delayed so these information can be send with QOS0.

Please feel free to add any suggestions by sending a pull request or filing an issue. Thanks for the question.

Harshit Bangar

Dec 22, 2015, 12:21:18 PM12/22/15
to MQTT

https://github.com/bangarharshit/Mqtt-chat/issues/4 . You can contributes your thought here.