Topics-based access control

GioPer

Oct 19, 2016, 11:20:43 AM10/19/16
to MQTT
Hello everybody,

I'm approaching MQTT and in particular I'm looking for an implementation that would allow me to have access control at topic level and/or subject level. In other words, I would like to have the possibility to:
- restrict access to a given topic to set of users (i.e. a set of users / clients cannot subscribe to a given set of topics)
- restrict publish for certain users (i.e. a set of users cannot publish certain topics)

Do you know of any implementation that allows that? I know that there are solutions that are focused on authentication and general access control (i.e. user is allowed or not to talk with the broker) but I'm looking for something at a topic level.

Thanks in advance!
Giovanni

V Z

Oct 24, 2016, 10:19:05 PM10/24/16
to MQTT
Mosquitto and MessageSight

Dominik Obermaier

Oct 25, 2016, 12:33:09 AM10/25/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Authorization for topics is supported by many MQTT brokers. Most HiveMQ deployments I'm aware of are heavily restricting topic access.

Best,
Dominik

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

GioPer

Oct 25, 2016, 3:49:36 AM10/25/16
to MQTT
Thanks to both - digging in the docs I have found that Mosquitto supports it. Now I'm investigating on Activemq. Thanks !

Sumeet Puri

Oct 25, 2016, 4:43:20 AM10/25/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
You might also want to look at the Solace VMR. The Community edition is free.

V Z

Oct 31, 2016, 12:09:40 AM10/31/16
to MQTT
Solace VMR is awfully heavy weight (4 core VM minimum) and has a huge restriction on concurrent connections: 1,000 max, which makes it impractical in most IoT applications.

Sumeet Puri

Nov 1, 2016, 2:56:17 PM11/1/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com

Full disclosure - I work for Solace, and appreciate your feedback. I’d like to put a few things into perspective (wouldn’t want this to be perceived as a “vendor pitch”, but would like to present facts in context).

The version you can download from the website is limited to 1000 connections for a feature/function trial basis, as well as for developers who have small scale needs. It’s architected as a multi core image, and a docker version will be out soon.

Solace has multiple deployments scaled to much much higher connection counts (in millions). You can contact solace for a scalable version of the software/architecture, which also adds a few other capabilities. I’ve personally architected/worked on a few of those smart city/connected cars applications.

Once such example you can check out is here, where every vehicle in Singapore is connecting to Solace:

http://www.computerworld.com.sg/resource/applications/solace-messaging-technology-to-support-singapores-erp-system/
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/satellite-based-erp-to-be/2547700.html

> On 31 Oct 2016, at 12:09 PM, V Z <uvzu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Solace VMR is awfully heavy weight (4 core VM minimum) and has a huge restriction on concurrent connections: 1,000 max, which makes it impractical in most IoT applications.

V Z

Nov 2, 2016, 4:49:05 PM11/2/16
to MQTT
Does the multi million connection solution use VMR?