RSMB now on GitHub

Nicholas Humfrey

Jul 1, 2016, 4:23:58 PM7/1/16
to mosqui...@eclipse.org, mq...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have submitted a number of pull requests for RSMB on GitHub and the
following progress has been made:

- Builds on Mac OS without any warning or errors
- Fixed warnings on Linux
- Travis build hook added
- Markdown formatted README with sample config added

You can find the new repository here:
https://github.com/eclipse/mosquitto.rsmb

Thanks to Roger for moving the RSMB git repo over and approving all my
Pull Requests so rapidly :)

nick.

Ian Craggs

Jul 6, 2016, 5:44:49 AM7/6/16
to MQTT, mosqui...@eclipse.org
Nick,

thanks for doing this.  I am a bit bemused (I think that's the right word) because I contributed RSMB to the Mosquitto project just out of historical interest, expecting that it would not be used, which is why I haven't worked on it for the last few years.   As you know, there is an MQTT-SN gateway newly contributed to Paho - I envisaged that and any other MQTT-SN gateways would fulfil the role.

I would be interested to know what you think would be needed to make RSMB unnecessary now.

Ian

Filipe Nicoli

Jul 6, 2016, 10:46:34 AM7/6/16
to MQTT, mosqui...@eclipse.org
Ian, I guess mosquitto won't be supporting MQTT-SN for some time. It's been on the table for long and the only broker I've seen around is yours (and a dozen forks of your code).

I'm currently using Michal Foksa's fork, and even his is already 1 year without bug fixes or improvements.

I guess it would be benefical to the project sticking to one fork. What do you think?

Nicholas Humfrey

Jul 7, 2016, 8:28:45 AM7/7/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com, mosqui...@eclipse.org, Filipe Nicoli
On 2016-07-06 15:46, Filipe Nicoli wrote:
> Ian, I guess mosquitto won't be supporting MQTT-SN for some time. It's
> been on the table for long and the only broker I've seen around is
> yours (and a dozen forks of your code).
>
> I'm currently using Michal Foksa's fork, and even his is already 1
> year without bug fixes or improvements.
>
> I guess it would be beneficial to the project sticking to one fork.
> What do you think?

Ian,

The main reason why I am interested in RSMB is because of the MQTT-SN
support. It is easier to run a single server, than a MQTT server and
seperate MQTT-SN (UDP) gateway - less things to setup/go wrong.

I agree that multiple forks isn't ideal. I wasn't actually aware of the
Michal Foksa fork when I sent my Pull Requests. Get the improvements
back into the main repo, would require going through the changes and
making sure they are approved by the Eclipse Legal process.

nick.

Ian Craggs

Jul 7, 2016, 9:08:34 AM7/7/16
to MQTT, mosqui...@eclipse.org, beando...@gmail.com
I'm not sure what Roger's current plans are for MQTT-SN - I'll check with him.  I am definitely interested in bringing RSMB fixes back into the Eclipse project so that the project code there is the best and definitive.  I had only held off because I thought that MQTT-SN support in Mosquitto was "imminent", I didn't want to step on Roger's toes, and a MQTT-SN gateway working alongside Mosquitto seemed like a reasonable approach.

My other thought is if there was a way for me to add MQTT-SN support into Mosquitto as a completely separate module internally, but it looks integrated, like a plugin.

Ian