ESP8266 <--> 4 x ESP8266 using MQTT

JamesI

Jun 7, 2017, 4:37:22 AM6/7/17
to MQTT
Hi All
Hope this is the correct place to post!

As per the pic, Im trying to understand how I can use one 'master' ESP8266 to send messages to 4 'slave' 8266s (I want to do this to trigger different RGB light sequences on 4 different 8266s)

I am unfortunately a copy/paste guy rather than a coder - Does anyone have any code that they could point me to which achieves this? From what I've read it seems MQTT might be the best option, but I can't seem to find any code which gives me what I need...

Would be hugely grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction ?

Many Thanks in advance!

James

Paul Fremantle

Jun 7, 2017, 6:04:30 AM6/7/17
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Your master node needs to run a broker. Either an MQTT or mqtt-sn broker.

There are some blogs starting here.

Paul

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

James Ingham

Jun 7, 2017, 2:28:03 PM6/7/17
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for the response Paul - unfortunately the guy in the blog linked does not share his code :-(
Looks perhaps the best option is to swap the "master" ESP8266 for a Raspberry Pi..

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MQTT" group.

Paul Fremantle

Jun 7, 2017, 2:42:28 PM6/7/17
to mq...@googlegroups.com
James

It would certainly make it a lot easier to do. A Pi Zero should work fine and the latest ones have built in wifi and can act as an access point if needed.

Paul
Paul Fremantle
Doctoral Researcher, University of Portsmouth, School of Computing
Visiting Scientist, Institute of the Architecture of Application Systems, Stuttgart
Visiting Lecturer, Software Engineering Programme, Oxford University
Co-Founder, WSO2
Apache Member and Committer
twitter: pzfreo / skype: paulfremantle / blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org