The topic would be send to broker every time?

Jakebo Huang

May 7, 2018, 9:58:54 AM5/7/18
to MQTT
Hi All,

I am an newbie of MQTT, and I am confusing by a question:
Would the topic be send to broker every time?

The topic is a changeless string, so I think it shouldn't be send each time for reduce network traffic flow. Is there a better way to accomplish?

Best Regards,
Jakebo

Rahul Gupta

May 7, 2018, 11:39:38 AM5/7/18
to mq...@googlegroups.com
This is already addressed in MQTT v5. You may want to have a look at published drafts. Thanks.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/62986/mqtt-v5.0-wd20.pdf

Topic Alias
Decrease the size of the MQTT packet overhead by allowing the topic name to be abbreviated to a small integer.
The Client and Server independently specify how many topic aliases they allow.

Kind Regards,
Rahul Gupta

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Jakebo Huang

May 8, 2018, 11:09:01 PM5/8/18
to MQTT
Thanks rahulgupta very much~~. This PDF is very useful for me :)

So this only MQTT v5 supports topic alias, right?
But looks many opensource libraries like mosquitto, paho.mqtt.pyhon has not support MQTT v5 yet, so I can not use this feature with that... right? hmmmm

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Jakebo Huang <jakebo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I am an newbie of MQTT, and I am confusing by a question:
Would the topic be send to broker every time?

The topic is a changeless string, so I think it shouldn't be send each time for reduce network traffic flow. Is there a better way to accomplish?

Best Regards,
Jakebo

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Thomas

May 15, 2018, 4:44:12 AM5/15/18
to MQTT
Jakebo,

There is a V5 branch for the Paho Java client at least in the Git repo. I don't know about the Python client though. But have a look.

Thomas