RSMB - MQTT-SN Forwarder support

Ryan Benoit

Mar 13, 2015, 12:50:51 PM3/13/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I just had a general question about RSMB and it's MQTT-SN protocol support for forwarder encapsulation (i.e. so I could forward back and forth from a non-UDP source/destination). I didn't see any details from the source code to figure out if it was implemented so I thought I'd ask the group here to see if it anyone knew if that part of the specification was implemented?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

This e-mail communication is confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me at the telephone number shown above or by return e-mail and delete this communication and any copy immediately. Thank you.

Ian Craggs

Mar 14, 2015, 1:16:34 PM3/14/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

RSMB does not support any encapsulation of MQTT-SN packets as it stands.  It should be reasonably straightforward to add that functionality in though -- up to now we've got away without it.

Ian

Michal Foksa

Apr 20, 2015, 5:05:00 AM4/20/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

I have started working on Forwarder Encapsulation few day ago. It will be available here: https://github.com/MichalFoksa/rsmb. It is original RSMB repo + few minor features and bug fixes. You might find it helpful.

Cheers,
Michal

Ian Craggs

Apr 24, 2015, 5:08:19 AM4/24/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michal,

would you consider contributing your RSMB updates back to Eclipse?

Ian

Michal Foksa

Apr 24, 2015, 5:20:52 AM4/24/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Sure, I will be happy to contribute it back. I think we have to talk about how to do it properly, and what to contribute. I have implemented few things already.

Michal

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Amanda Mattiuz

Nov 5, 2015, 11:25:04 AM11/5/15
to MQTT
Hi, Michal,

I'm interested in using the forwarder to communicate wtih sensors that can only communicate via Bluetooth, do you think I could use your implementation?

Amanda

Michal Foksa

Nov 10, 2015, 3:56:20 AM11/10/15
to MQTT
Hi Amanda,

Feel free to use it.

I assume your sensors can talk mqtt-sn already. Then you have to create a simple message forwarder which:
1. Listens to a message on Bluetooth protocol,
2. wraps the message to Forwarder encapsulation packet and sends it to a broker. You need to find a unique ID as wireless node ID.
3. Message received from a broker have to be unwrapped and sent to a sensor according to wireless node ID.

Michal

Amanda Mattiuz

Nov 10, 2015, 11:18:53 AM11/10/15
to MQTT
Hi, Michal,

Actually we will need to re-program the sensors so they can talk mqtt-sn, at the moment they talk some kind of proprietary protocol and use bluetooth for it. We can re-program the sensors, but we cannot add any other "radio", we must use bluetooth.

We were thinking about using mqtt-sn because we were under the impression that we would find some implementation ready to be used, but I guess we still have a lot of work to do.

In such case what you guys -  that are dealing with it for longer than us - think? Maybe I could just user plain MQTT? Is that even possible?

Amanda

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MQTT" group.

Michal Foksa

Nov 11, 2015, 4:04:42 PM11/11/15
to MQTT
In that case I would create a gateway between sensors proprietary protocol and MQTT (instead of MQTT-SN).
With MQTT you have much more freedom with choice of client library and a broker.

Michal