MQTT Logo for advertising.(homepage/ brochure)

Axel Hulsch

Sep 26, 2017, 3:36:09 AM9/26/17
to MQTT
Dear Members,

we have integrated the MQTT protocol within our IBH link UA
https://www.ibhsoftec.com/IBH-OPC-UA-Server-Eng

Now we want to ask if we can use the MQTT logo for advertising.(homepage/ brochure)
Many thank for fast answers

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Kind regards

i.A. Andreas Schulz

IBHsoftec GmbH | Turmstraße 77 | D-64743 Beerfelden
Telefon +49-6068-3001 | Telefax: +49-6068-3074
ibhsoftec.com | wiki.ibhsoftec.com
S5/S7 für Windows® - Professionelle SPS Programmierung
IBH OPC UA Server/Client  - für S5, S7-200, S7-1200, S7-1500, S7-300, S7-400 und Logo!

IBH OPC Server - für S5, S7-200, S7-1200, S7-1500, S7-300 und S7-400 und Logo!

SoftSPS S5-943 / S5-945 / S7-315 / S7-416
IBH Link UA – Embedded OPC UA Server/Client
IBH Link S7++ / S7++ HS - Ethernet/MPI/DP Gateway
IBH Link S5++ - Ethernet / AS511 Gateway
S7-CX315 SD / S7-CX317 SD - Die SPS, die 2 Welten verbindet
Gerichtsstand Darmstadt HRB 70517
Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Ing.
Rolf Kiefer
UST.-IdNr.:DE111639377 | Steuer-Nr.:00723600346
Windows ist eine eingetragene Marke der Microsoft Corporation. S7-200, S7-300, S7-400
und S7-1200 sind eingetragene Marken der Siemens Aktiengesellschaft Berlin und München.

Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen

Sep 26, 2017, 7:36:57 PM9/26/17
to MQTT
Hi Andreas (you know that you are posting as Axel Hulsch?).

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 9:36:09 AM UTC+2, Axel Hulsch wrote:
we have integrated the MQTT protocol within our IBH link UA
https://www.ibhsoftec.com/IBH-OPC-UA-Server-Eng
Now we want to ask if we can use the MQTT logo for advertising.(homepage/ brochure)
Many thank for fast answers

Nice to see the MQTT protocol spreading into new and embedded areas. Can't find any mention of MQTT on any of your company's product specifications or manuals yet, though.

The mqtt.org site, including the logo that you are probably referring to, doesn't necessarily identify its origin very prominently. I guess that it is somehow linked to the OASIS technical committee (TC) who work on defining and evolving the standard. However, looking at the TC homepage it is specifically mentioned[1] that the mqtt.org site is not a product of the TC. Looking into whois[2] it shows that the domain is registered by an IBM member of the TC[3] by the name Andy Stanford-Clark[4]. So I guess the mqtt.org site, logos and this group is a separate branding and community effort not related directly to the TC and OASIS.

Turning back to the graphics trail, some digging[5] reveals a Github repository[6] with the logo in vector format[7] and the below wording[8] on usage, but without an explicit copyright declaration or assignment to any well known license. I guess the copyright must belong to the sole committer of the repository identified as Github user "andypiper" (Andy Piper)[9]:

"Feel free to use these graphics to indicate use of or support of the MQTT protocol in your product, but do not use them to suggest endorsement from the community or any standards body."

I would interpret that as a yes to your question. Note that I'm nothing more than a MQTT community member, developer and user myself so don't take that as legal advise.

--
Regards,
Mikkel