Questions on MQTT Security features

Sasikumar Natarajan

Dec 19, 2014, 2:09:50 AM12/19/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com

What are the information(Ex: device ID, MAC etc…) will be sent to MQTT server in the background when we create a connection?

Can we block a device from connecting to a MQTT server?

Can we block a device from Subscribing to a topic?

Do we have any device registration on MQTT server. So that We can only allow known devices? If we have some registration mechanism, Can we do it dynamically using API?

When MQTT-SN should be used? How it is differ from MQTT?

Dave Locke

Dec 19, 2014, 4:13:40 AM12/19/14
to mq...@googlegroups.com
if you are familiar with HTTP then MQTT can be thought of in a similar way.

MQTT flows over a socket either in the clear or secure (via SSL/TLS)

If using a secure connection then SSL/ TLS  provides a level of authtentication / trust.  Generally the server has a cert enabling the device / client to trust the server.  The device / client can also have a cert enabling mutual trust.

Once the socket is established then the MQTT connect packet is sent.  Each MQTT client needs a unique ID.  A MAC address is an example of an ID that can be used as the MQTT client ID.  In addition other credentials (think password like) can be sent enabling the server to validate the client.   Once the connect flow is acknowledge the client is deemed to trust the server and vice versa. At this point an MQTT session has been established and messages can start flowing in both directions.

Normal network / firewall infrastructure comes into play just as it does with HTTP e.g. firewalls...

All th

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit
http://mqtt.org