MQTT Comparison with HTTP for Huge payalods

Ankit Srivastava

Sep 22, 2016, 8:47:41 AM9/22/16
to MQTT
HI,

Is there any comparison of MQTT message exchange against HTTP for huge payloads i.e. of the size of hundred of KBs?

Any analysis in terms of bandwidth consumption, message delivery time and data loss would be good.

Regards,
Ankit

Paul Fremantle

Sep 22, 2016, 8:56:43 AM9/22/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Ankit

I can't imagine there is a big difference when the payload is big, because the overhead of the headers in HTTP will be proportionally less.

However, HTTP has chunking support which will potentially make a difference.

Paul

--
To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
---

Paul Fremantle
Part-time PhD student - School of Computing
twitter: pzfreo / skype: paulfremantle / blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
Co-Founder, WSO2
Apache Member and Committer
07740 199 729

Ankit Srivastava

Sep 23, 2016, 2:36:16 AM9/23/16
to MQTT
Thanks Paul,

I understand it better now.

Where can I find the MQtt Control packet's size details?
For example, what is the message exchange size for CONNECT, PUBLISH assuming a predefined payload(lets say 1KB).

I am  trying to analyse how much bandwidth would be consumed by a single client in a day if it uses MQTT pub sub model with a single topic to publish and is subscribed to a single topic(lest assume 1 publish on this topic every hour).

Regards,
Ankit

Paul Fremantle

Sep 23, 2016, 3:49:41 AM9/23/16
to mq...@googlegroups.com
The MQTT packet specification is here:

The basic summary is that:

There is an initial CONNECT which contains u/p, a client id and a couple of bytes of header.

Then the device can either SUBSCRIBE or PUBLISH.

SUBSCRIBE is typically once per session and is just a couple of bytes plus the topic.

PUBLISH is 2 bytes, the topic, plus the data. These are all dependent on the exact way you use the protocol (e.g. QoS0,1,2).

Paul