Hello

Mike Partain

Feb 18, 2015, 2:48:56 PM2/18/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I just joined this group although I have been using mqtt in a limited fashion for some time and love it.

I come at it from a robotics perspective and it fits very well.  I was interconnecting a windows brain to a Netduino piloting system via ethernet but I am in the process of moving to an Arduino.  While I can put an ethernet shield on the Arduino, I would rather not, so I am switching to serial.  At the moment I am running a serial to mqtt bridge I wrote but I keep being drawn to mqtt-sn.  I am 100% a windows user and I have yet figure out what exactly I need to do to implement mqtt-sn.

I am running mosquito on windows as the broker, and I have seen mention that rmsb implement mqtt-sn, and then somewhere it is implies mosquito and rmsb are merged under eclipse. But I just can seem to piece it all together.  Starting with the simple how do you attach a serial port to any broker on windows? And once I figure that out, does indeed the broker I am already running, mosquito just need something added to the config?  I have looked at the out of date com0com and will avoid cygwin.

My alternative is to continue my own bridge (http://www.spiked3.com/?p=3391)  but I need to add sequence numbers and CRC to it, and if there is already a way to do that via mqtt-sn I would much prefer to go that route.

Again hello. Glad the group is here.

Roger Light

Feb 18, 2015, 3:26:30 PM2/18/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

The plan is to merge the features of rsmb into mosquitto, but it
hasn't happened yet. If you want mqtt-sn, you'll have to stick with
rsmb.

Cheers,

Roger
> --
> To learn more about MQTT please visit http://mqtt.org
> ---

Mike Partain

Feb 18, 2015, 3:40:34 PM2/18/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that information Roger. I was reading too much into it thinking it already had happened.

Any ideas on the serial port to rsmb on windows (Im assuming it runs on windows as I think I saw something in the makefile that made me think so anyhow)? I would guess the smart thing to do is use that now until they are merged?

Ian Craggs

Feb 28, 2015, 3:47:49 PM2/28/15
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

one option for connecting a serial port to Mosquitto or other MQTT broker is to use a command line program like mosquitto_pub.  At least on Unix, you can pipe the output from the serial port into the mosquitto_pub program.  You might need a simple program to read the serial port and send the data to stdout, you might not.  Either way, I realize that this probably doesn't work so well on Windows, but you could take the mosquitto_pub program and alter it for your needs.

I plan to be writing an MQTT-SN to MQTT gateway in Eclipse Paho very soon.  It will be portable to any transmission medium (UDP, serial, etc) in the same way that the Paho embedded clients are portable - by replacing a class, or using the lowest level API directly.  I've started work on the client already (http://developer.mbed.org/users/icraggs/code/MQTTSN/).

There is also an MQTT-SN Java gateway written at the same time as the original specification, in the Paho repository http://git.eclipse.org/c/paho/org.eclipse.paho.mqtt-sn.apps.git/tree/apps.

Ian