Update MDN HTML Reference for beginner

1 view

Jeremie Patonnier

Apr 8, 2015, 9:51:44 AM4/8/15
to dev-mdc, Mozilla Webmaker list, shobson, berker.peksag, Burak Yiğit Kaya
Hi,

The current HTML reference is complete but need to be updated both for
beginner and for accuracy (as suggested in that discussion thread [1])

I suggest to reshape all HTML element articles with the following structure:

1. Remove the "Summary" title (quite useless)
2. Write a quick summary that introduce what the element is made for
(the current summary are quite good it's more about making them consistent
in term of structure across all articles)
3. Add a basic rough example of the element (copy/pastable as much as
possible) with a link to the "How to use the # element" to get more useful
examples.
4. Update the definition table to be real table and make it more
understandable (currently it's just copy pasting from the spec which is
useless in a documentation like MDN). I suggest that we get rid of the 'Tag
omission' section and each time we are making reference to a type of
content, it should be possible to click on it to get the full list of
associated elements.
5. Keep the "Attributes" title (if the element have attributes other
than the globals one)
6. For each attribute, their description should be collapsable and
collapsed by default (we could use the detail/summary element to tag that
behavior). I also suggest that all deprecated or non standard attribute are
listed at the end of that list (and possible put in a dedicated sub
section).
7. Advanced examples should be moved to a "How to use the # element"
article
8. Keep the spec table
9. Keep the browser compat table and stuff below it
10. A see also section should always be at the end with at minimum a
link to the "How to use the HTML # element" article (more links are allowed
off course)

All those change will require some development work, but here is an example
of what such a page could looks like:

- https://www.diigo.com/item/image/58ljs/umbx
- Compare with the original:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/a