Building a complete HTML tutorial on MDN: Phase 2

1 view

Jeremie Patonnier

Apr 8, 2015, 9:51:44 AM4/8/15
to dev-mdc, berker...@gmail.com, Mozilla Webmaker list, Burak Yiğit Kaya
Hello :)

As you might know, as part of the Learning Area project, the MDN team is
working on creating a new kick ass HTML tutorial on MDN.

Thanks to all the people who help us refining our ideas and provide
feedback about the state of the art of HTML tutorials in the wild, we are
now ready to move to phase 2 of that project: Refining our plan and
starting the writing work.

If you wonder what are the outcomes of phase 1, take a look at the
following:

- https://etherpad.mozilla.org/HTML-tutorial
- https://conceptcodify.com/studies/Yas60hXlSm354SowXeqYOfoa/analyze/
(result of our HTML tag study)

So what's next?

Based on all the feedback we get and with the last discussion during the
Hack on MDN event which took place in Berlin end of March, we came with the
following conclusions:

1. The HTML Reference on MDN need to be update to provide articles with
a better structure for beginners
2. We need to build a set of articles to provide full detailed
explanation (with examples) on how to use each HTML element (one article
per element). This is made for average developers who want to go deeper in
their understanding of HTML.
3. We need to build a set of article to help beginners figuring how to
solve common problems with HTML (concrete task oriented learning rather
than technology oriented learning)

In the next days/weeks we will discuss how to make this possible (drafting
and writing plan). To give you an idea of what will happen: 1 will be
discuss this week and the next on those mailing lists (dev-mdc and
webmaker) then we will move to update the content; 2 will be discuss this
week on those mailing list and schedule on the Learning Area trello board
<https://trello.com/b/LDggrYSV>; 3 will be discuss on those mailing list
between now and May in order to figure what are those common problems to be
solved with HTML. This is a huge work and we need you and your expertise to
make it possible.

If you are interested in contributing to this work, you are more than
welcome. Feel free to ping me (Jeremie) to coordinate the effort ;)

Best,
--
Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net