What we learned. What's next.

1 view

Matthew Thompson

Jul 17, 2015, 2:41:11 PM7/17/15
to all-...@mozilla.com, webmaker
Some highlights from what we learned in the last two weeks.
And what we're going to tackle from now to July 31:
*http://openmatt.org/2015/07/17/july31/
<http://openmatt.org/2015/07/17/july31/>*

Links to planning tickets are here -- so please CC yourself on any you'd
like to follow or get more involved with:

- http://mzl.la/July31_P1
- http://mzl.la/July31_P2

Next Heartbeat planning meeting is July 31 -- let me know if you have
questions or would like to get added to the calendar invite. All are
welcome.

--@OpenMatt

*p.s.: one note in particular:*
*if you're going on vacation -- have fun! :) And please make an extra
effort to communicate and hand off well. *It's something we didn't seem to
do particularly well over the last two weeks, and can easily cause
confusion and slowdowns. Which are less fun.

What we learned. What’s next. Published July 17, 2015
<http://openmatt.org/2015/07/17/july31/> by openmatt
<http://openmatt.org/author/openmatt/> in Mozilla
<http://openmatt.org/category/mozilla/>
Leave a comment <http://openmatt.org/2015/07/17/july31/#respond> Edit
<http://openmatt.org/wp-admin/post.php?post=9505&action=edit>
What we learned

“Spending time right after workweeks to knock out documentation, to-dos,
and reflection puts wind in our sails.” –Michelle

*Allocate time for documentation and follow-up after work weeks.* Be
intentional about spending time to write up documentation / key decisions
made. At the MozFest prep in
<http://michellethorne.cc/2015/07/mozilla-clubs-2015-half-time-report/>
Scotland
<http://michellethorne.cc/2015/07/mozilla-clubs-2015-half-time-report/>,
for example, we had a whole day to wrap, document, prep blogs and wikis,
etc. — it really helped.

“PTO requires more prep to keep everyone in sync and unblocked … and keep
PTO enjoyable.” — Matthew

- *The “Pledge to Teach” we shipped on teach.mozilla.org
<http://teach.mozilla.org/> doesn’t have a strong conversion rate yet*.
(Though the pledge -> next step conversion rate is really good.) Need to
iterate. (Blog post on this coming soon.)
- *The CRM project is big and hard to keep a track of*. So we spent time
making the ‘Plan of Record’ a more useful view: http://mzl.la/CRM
- *Working with communities may be easier and more effective (and
appreciative) with a dedicated community manager*. We’re collaborating
with Participation Team, but have more work to do to on-board community
<https://github.com/MozillaFoundation/plan/issues/495>.
- *It’s hard to have engineers jump onto tasks with same results as
regular team*. Continuity helps. Discontinuity slows us. (See: PTO.)
- *Read this*: Mozilla Clubs: 2015 Half-Time Report
<http://michellethorne.cc/2015/07/mozilla-clubs-2015-half-time-report/>

What we’re doing next

This Heartbeat (July 31):

- http://mzl.la/July31_P1
- http://mzl.la/July31_P2

*Highlights:*

*Learning Products:*

- Ship Webmaker for Desktop (on-going) <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Choose a provider for Push notifications <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Chicago Research Report <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>

*Fundraising and Metrics:*

- Build a fundraising template for user impact stories
<http://mzl.la/July31_P1>

*Learning Networks:*

- Mozilla Clubs layout and copy changes <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Add better analytics tracking <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Thimble user testing + next round of UX <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Research plan for the MLN site <http://mzl.la/July31_P1>
- Design visualization of the Mozilla Learning Network ecosystem
<http://mzl.la/July31_P1>

*Vacation time to be aware of this Heartbeat:*

- Matthew: off July 27-31
- David Ascher: Jul 20-24
- Claw: July 22- 27
- Mark: July 24 — Aug 10