A couple of webmaker activities to share

Mick Clearerchannel

Mar 10, 2015, 3:23:38 PM3/10/15
to webm...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi there,

Sorry to miss the call today. I'm doing teacher training and Tuesdays is
coding club night and also there is a LOT of marking!

Anyway, as part of my work I'm developing a series of 6 activities to
teach the text coding part of the UK KS3 Computing curriculum using
Firefox and Thimble. Go me.

Thanks to the Manchester Coder Dojo posse I managed to test this out to
keen kids there are the weekend as well as the much more feisty ones
that I normally teach. Both species responded well so far!

It would be great to get some feedback. I'll post future instalments too.
Here is a page with some short links - You should be able to make
comments on the links to the notes (on gdrive).

http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/

nice one
Mick

Michelle Thorne

Mar 11, 2015, 2:15:59 PM3/11/15
to Mick Clearerchannel, Mozilla Webmaker list, Laura Hilliger
Hey Mick,

Thanks for posting and testing!

I'm keen to take a closer look at your reflections. Also copying Laura
who's helping us weave in all the insights and remixes into the first club
curriculum module:

http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/index.html

<3 Coder Dojo -- glad you could team up with them to trial this!

// m

*Michelle Thorne*
Director, Webmaker Programs
Mozilla Foundation

@thornet
mich...@mozillafoundation.org

Laura Hilliger

Mar 12, 2015, 5:26:39 AM3/12/15
to Michelle Thorne, Mick Clearerchannel, Mozilla Webmaker list
Hey Mick!

WHOA! Love seeing JS activities, beginning ones like these are super useful. I’d love to hear any specific feedback you’ve received by testing, we’re testing things too (and filing iterative changes on github <https://github.com/mozilla/teach.webmaker.org/labels/curriculum>). Would be cool to work together on fleshing these out and including them in the Clubs stuff too.

Very cool, thanks for sharing (and keep sharing!)

—laura
<https://webmaker.org/> Laura Hilliger
Training & Educational Lead
Mozilla Foundation

Email: la...@mozillafoundation.org <mailto:la...@mozillafoundation.org>
Twitter: @epilepticrabbit <http://twitter.com/epilepticrabbit>
> On Mar 11, 2015, at 7:15 PM, Michelle Thorne <mich...@mozillafoundation.org <mailto:mich...@mozillafoundation.org>> wrote:
>
> Hey Mick,
>
> Thanks for posting and testing!
>
> I'm keen to take a closer look at your reflections. Also copying Laura who's helping us weave in all the insights and remixes into the first club curriculum module:
>
> http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/index.html <http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/index.html>
>
> <3 Coder Dojo -- glad you could team up with them to trial this!
>
> // m
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Mick Clearerchannel <mick...@clearerchannel.org <mailto:mick...@clearerchannel.org>> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry to miss the call today. I'm doing teacher training and Tuesdays is
> coding club night and also there is a LOT of marking!
>
> Anyway, as part of my work I'm developing a series of 6 activities to
> teach the text coding part of the UK KS3 Computing curriculum using
> Firefox and Thimble. Go me.
>
> Thanks to the Manchester Coder Dojo posse I managed to test this out to
> keen kids there are the weekend as well as the much more feisty ones
> that I normally teach. Both species responded well so far!
>
> It would be great to get some feedback. I'll post future instalments too.
> Here is a page with some short links - You should be able to make
> comments on the links to the notes (on gdrive).
>
> http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/ <http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/>
>
> nice one
> Mick

> --
> Michelle Thorne
> Director, Webmaker Programs
> Mozilla Foundation
>
> @thornet
> mich...@mozillafoundation.org <mailto:mich...@mozillafoundation.org>

Mick Clearerchannel

Mar 12, 2015, 4:40:57 PM3/12/15
to Laura Hilliger, Michelle Thorne, Mozilla Webmaker list

On 12/03/15 09:26, Laura Hilliger wrote:
> Hey Mick!
>
> WHOA! Love seeing JS activities, beginning ones like these are super
> useful. I’d love to hear any specific feedback you’ve received by
> testing, we’re testing things too (and filing iterative changes on
> github
> <https://github.com/mozilla/teach.webmaker.org/labels/curriculum>).
> Would be cool to work together on fleshing these out and including
> them in the Clubs stuff too.

That would be amazing. I will do my best to get them ready for feedback
in the same way. That would really fit into the assignment I'm doing for
teacher training.

A quick question. There are notes to go with the activites here which I
shared with facilitators at the dojo.
http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/

I just put them on google drive - But advice on the best place or way to
integrate those kinds of notes so that it would be consistent with the
other activities would be welcome.

nice one
Mick

Laura Hilliger

Mar 17, 2015, 9:55:55 AM3/17/15
to Mick Clearerchannel, Michelle Thorne, Mozilla Webmaker list
Hi Mick,

We’ve been building all the notes and tips into the activities themselves (see this one <http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/session01-kraken.html> for example). We’ve found that people like to have everything in one place, in particular so they can print activities and/or reference them without an internet connection.

We’re wrapping up iterations on the first set <http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/>, but for now the self contained activities are getting pretty good feedback :)

—laura
<https://webmaker.org/> Laura Hilliger
Training & Educational Lead
Mozilla Foundation

Email: la...@mozillafoundation.org <mailto:la...@mozillafoundation.org>
Twitter: @epilepticrabbit <http://twitter.com/epilepticrabbit>
> On Mar 12, 2015, at 9:39 PM, Mick Clearerchannel <mick...@clearerchannel.org <mailto:mick...@clearerchannel.org>> wrote:
>

> On 12/03/15 09:26, Laura Hilliger wrote:
>> Hey Mick!
>>
>> WHOA! Love seeing JS activities, beginning ones like these are super useful. I’d love to hear any specific feedback you’ve received by testing, we’re testing things too (and filing iterative changes on github <https://github.com/mozilla/teach.webmaker.org/labels/curriculum>). Would be cool to work together on fleshing these out and including them in the Clubs stuff too.
>
> That would be amazing. I will do my best to get them ready for feedback in the same way. That would really fit into the assignment I'm doing for teacher training.
>
> A quick question. There are notes to go with the activites here which I shared with facilitators at the dojo.
> http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/ <http://digitalducks.org/strawberrytarts/links-for-coder-dojo-javascript/>

Mick Clearerchannel

Mar 17, 2015, 10:15:59 AM3/17/15

On 17/03/15 13:55, Laura Hilliger wrote:
> Hi Mick,
>
> We’ve been building all the notes and tips into the activities
> themselves (see this one
> <http://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/session01-kraken.html> for
> example).
That makes total sense, I'll use that link as a bit of a template.

nice one
MIck