matching localizations to versions

Inner Peace Volunteer 0

Jun 18, 2015, 9:56:56 PM6/18/15
to tools...@lists.mozilla.org
Greetings,

I love what you folks are doing. You really have taken localization to a
whole new paradigm, and it will be great when it is broadly implemented.

I'm exploring using L20n for many programs, and I want to make sure that
the localizations match the program versions. Here's an example.

Suppose I have a program for which the main language is en-US, and it is in
version 2.3, with a localization for en-CA that is current for version 2.2
of the program, and a localization for it-IT that is current for version
2.1 of the program. I would like several options:

1. First, if a user selects a localization other than en-US, the program
version delivered would be the latest one to match the user's localization.
Using the above hypothetical, if the user were to select en-CA, the user
would get version 2.2 of the program, with an en-CA localization that
matched.
2. Along with 1 above, the user would get a notice that the version
being used is the most current in his localization, but that more current
versions of the program are available in other localizations(s). The user
could then click links to tables of the various localizations and the most
current program version to which they match.
3. Those tables would be sorted two ways: by localization, with a
default sort of a-z; and by version, with the default sort of newest-oldest.

It's possible that this functionality is already built into L20n. If so,
please direct me to the documentation of how to use it. If not, please
consider this a feature request.

Thank you.