Kicking off Aisle. Javascript hackers that localize Mozilla wanted

Axel Hecht

Oct 23, 2014, 6:15:49 PM10/23/14
to mozilla-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

you'd think that after years of talk and prototypes, I'd have more than
an empty repo, but no. https://github.com/aisle-moz/moz.aisle.

You can hack Javascript, and you localize Mozilla projects? You're eager
to get your hands dirty and go through "interesting" phases of a
project? Do you think it could hardly get any worse anyway? Let me know.

What are we building?

We're building an editor that works for Localization. More so, we're
building an Integrated Localization Environment. ILE. Aisle.

The project is going to be a set of Javascript modules, extending
Cloud9. Give that a spin at https://c9.io/ to find yourself around.

We're going to build workflows, and generally try to make anything quick
that you need while working on an open source translation. We'll be
doing keyboard navigation, parsers, error checks, commit helpers, TM, MT.

Why? Source code and version control are of great utility to build great
software. But that's hard. But it doesn't have to be. Getting the
localization contributors close to the thing that they need to build
will enable us to be better, faster, less confusing.

Where do we start? https://wiki.mozilla.org/Aisle is the start,
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Aisle/Design has slightly more detail. I have
two different proofs of concept, but those are also good things to throw
away.

If you're interested, please add yourself to
https://aisle.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributors. Quick intro would be
nice, too.

We'll probably start with a vidyo call, and soon follow that up with a
co-hacking session.

Axel

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Oct 24, 2014, 3:07:04 AM10/24/14
to tools...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 24/10/14 00:14, Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> https://github.com/aisle-moz/moz.aisle.
At the risk of sounding not smart, in that page it says: "Firstly, you
want to get c9v3, and get that running locally. Please follow the docs
there."

I found this blog post about the release:
https://c9.io/site/blog/2014/07/the-new-cloud9-one-week-later/
So, I went to c9.io, signed up and did a bit of testing with the demo
workspace. But that's definitely not installing c9v3 locally.

The only thing I found with Google is this page:
https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9/
But it hasn't received updates in almost a year. Is this the
documentation to use?

I confess everything is a bit cryptic for someone who didn't know what
c9 was until yesterday.

Francesco

Matjaz Horvat

Oct 24, 2014, 7:15:39 AM10/24/14
to Francesco Lodolo [:flod], tools...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm afraid the devil might be in "Essential parts needed aren't
publicly accessible for now."

I went through /Design and /Project pages on the wiki I like what I
see. Previewing translations with restartless language packs instead
of waiting a full day for the new build to come is a big step forward.

I'm particularly curious about how and if we are going to tackle
merging strings on new releases. Is there a plan to automate the
process of adding new strings and removing obsolete ones (while still
keeping them in TM)? If there is such plan, what happens to translated
strings or entire files that move to a new location?

-Matjaž

Axel Hecht

Oct 24, 2014, 7:50:44 AM10/24/14
to mozilla-t...@lists.mozilla.org
As Matjaz noted, that's secret sauce. I'll connect people contributing
to Aisle to the c9 folks for access to their repo. That's not going to
stay that way, though.

Axel

Axel Hecht

Oct 24, 2014, 7:57:42 AM10/24/14
On 10/24/14 1:15 PM, Matjaz Horvat wrote:
> I'm afraid the devil might be in "Essential parts needed aren't
> publicly accessible for now."
>
> I went through /Design and /Project pages on the wiki I like what I
> see. Previewing translations with restartless language packs instead
> of waiting a full day for the new build to come is a big step forward.
>
> I'm particularly curious about how and if we are going to tackle
> merging strings on new releases. Is there a plan to automate the
> process of adding new strings and removing obsolete ones (while still
> keeping them in TM)? If there is such plan, what happens to translated
> strings or entire files that move to a new location?

The idea for working on new strings is this:

The worker parses both the l10n and reference files, generates a paired
AST, and uses code completion and markers as well as keyboard short cuts
to add new strings. It may/should also show the reference file in a
split editor pane, and auto-navigate the en-US file to correspond to
where you are in the l10n file.

Moving files would be simple, you just move the file. "Just" meaning
that that's still something to help with. Feature, needs a bug. (In
Localization Tools and Infrastructure / Aisle) Moving strings is also
something we should detect.

Generally, I expect that we'll focus on patch-by-patch l10n, and to make
that quick. In that scenario, the tool can inspect the en-US changeset
and offer helpful features for that.

Axel

Axel Hecht

Nov 18, 2014, 7:19:27 AM11/18/14
to mozilla-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

just a quick status update. With PTO, decade and whatnot, finding a good
timeslot to do a bootstrap hacking session was hard.

Given that Portlandia is close, let's do that there?

Axel