Re: Questions regarding devtools migration script

Axel Hecht

Sep 6, 2016, 12:39:32 PM9/6/16
to Julian Descottes, Tarek Ziade, mozilla-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Let's have this conversation on the tools.l10n list.

On 06/09/16 13:05, Julian Descottes wrote:
> Hi Axel,
>
> Had a chat today with Tarek, who helped me setup a dedicated repo for
> this script.
>
> But beyond Python programming questions, I need some more information
> about what we expect the devtools migration script to do here.
>
> - Is it ok to host the script on Github? I would like to avoid the
> cost of landing it in central if possible. I don't even know if
> localizers usually have a clone of central available?
I'm not convinced that hosting these on github will make things easier.
The people that localize central localize from that repository. It might
be easiest to land those scripts together with the patches that
introduce the changes to l10n.
> - If we agree on avoiding central, is it ok to copy the entities
> parser script you mentioned to reuse it?
> - should the script simply modify the l10n repo and leave the commit
> to the localizer, or should it commit on the user's behalf? I think
> it's best to let the user check and commit, but maybe you have a
> different opinion.
I'm undecided on this, and for the l20n one, I think we'll want to split
out the conversion to multiple commits, but that's additional candy.
> - Related to my previous question, should the script take care of
> deleting files which have been fully migrated?

> - Regarding localization notes, I was thinking about embedding the
> current localization notes in the configuration of the script, is this
> fine with you?
The question is really finding out the "current" ones, at least for
those from l10n. Finding them turns out to be tricky at least in the
tests that I've done last week, not really conclusive yet. Landing the
ones from en-US might be a good first step, though.

We learned that the localization notes we have in files are not all good
to port to the new files, too. So as you're migrating, do review the
existing notes to see if they still make sense.

> As a more general question, would it make a significant difference to
> keep the same string id between the dtd and the properties files?
> Would lead to some inconsistencies on our side, but if it makes a big
> difference easing the migration, why not.
I don't think there's benefit from keeping IDs around in the migration.

Axel