Re: [INTELLEGO] We can haz code

Majken Connor

Sep 4, 2014, 12:24:34 PM9/4/14
to Jeff Beatty, tools...@lists.mozilla.org
Correct link for the pad ;) -
https://intellego.etherpad.mozilla.org/gsoc-postmortem

I dislike the idea of quitting meetings entirely, I have been thinking
lately that we need to gain momentum again. Maybe a monthly meeting or
biweekly at a new time would be better?

I also feel like there isn't too much for me to do on my end currently,
though maybe that is because things got very busy over the summer and the
meeting time failed a lot.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Jeff Beatty <jbe...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> As there are no talking points for today's weekly meeting and some are
> traveling, I wanted to send out mail with some Intellego updates.
>
> 1) I've set up a Github repo for Intellego - https://github.com/gueroJeff/
> IntellegoIt's currently empty, but I hope to migrate some code into it
> between now and next Thursday, as well as set up directories for some of
> the post-GSOC modules that we've been discussing in the etherpad and in
> last week's meetings. Which brings me to the next point:
> 2) Please read through https://intellego.etherpad.
> mozilla.org/gsoc-postmortemTo this point I'm the sole contributor to the
> ep. Please add your thoughts. I think the ep is where that discussion
> should take place.
> 3) And finally, the role of meetings. Meetings are only valuable when
> there are many sides to a discussion. Being that we have not had talking
> points from multiple sides, I'm proposing that we put an end to the idea
> weekly meetings and stick to communicating in the email and bug channels
> we've come up with. If we have a reason to meet, we can organize within the
> #intellego IRC channel to arrange for that meeting.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff
>
> --
> *Jeff Beatty*
> Localization Engineer
> @mozilla_l10n <http://twitter.com/mozilla_l10n>
> 801.367.3763

Jeff Beatty

Sep 4, 2014, 12:42:47 PM9/4/14
to Majken Connor, tools...@lists.mozilla.org

El 9/4/14 10:24 AM, Majken Connor escribió:
> Correct link for the pad ;) -
> https://intellego.etherpad.mozilla.org/gsoc-postmortem

Thanks :-)
> I dislike the idea of quitting meetings entirely, I have been thinking
> lately that we need to gain momentum again. Maybe a monthly meeting or
> biweekly at a new time would be better?
I'm more in favor of virtual sprints over regularly scheduled meetings,
to be honest. Our regular meetings turned into pie-in-the-sky
discussions around all of the things the Intellego project could be
rather than determining and creating deliverables on the Intellego
platform. The content was also reduced to one-directional updates, which
could just as easily be done on this list.

> I also feel like there isn't too much for me to do on my end
> currently, though maybe that is because things got very busy over the
> summer and the meeting time failed a lot.
>

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Jeff Beatty <jbe...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jbe...@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> As there are no talking points for today's weekly meeting and some
> are traveling, I wanted to send out mail with some Intellego updates.
>
> 1) I've set up a Github repo for Intellego -
> https://github.com/gueroJeff/IntellegoIt's
> <https://github.com/gueroJeff/IntellegoIt%27s> currently empty,
> but I hope to migrate some code into it between now and next
> Thursday, as well as set up directories for some of the post-GSOC
> modules that we've been discussing in the etherpad and in last
> week's meetings. Which brings me to the next point:
> 2) Please read through
> https://intellego.etherpad.mozilla.org/gsoc-postmortemTo this
> point I'm the sole contributor to the ep. Please add your
> thoughts. I think the ep is where that discussion should take place.
> 3) And finally, the role of meetings. Meetings are only valuable
> when there are many sides to a discussion. Being that we have not
> had talking points from multiple sides, I'm proposing that we put
> an end to the idea weekly meetings and stick to communicating in
> the email and bug channels we've come up with. If we have a reason
> to meet, we can organize within the #intellego IRC channel to
> arrange for that meeting.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff
>
> --
> *Jeff Beatty*
> Localization Engineer
> @mozilla_l10n <http://twitter.com/mozilla_l10n>
> 801.367.3763

Majken Connor

Sep 5, 2014, 6:26:55 PM9/5/14
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Jeff Beatty <jbe...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> El 9/4/14 10:24 AM, Majken Connor escribió:
>
> Correct link for the pad ;) -
> https://intellego.etherpad.mozilla.org/gsoc-postmortem
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> I dislike the idea of quitting meetings entirely, I have been thinking
> lately that we need to gain momentum again. Maybe a monthly meeting or
> biweekly at a new time would be better?
>
> I'm more in favor of virtual sprints over regularly scheduled meetings, to
> be honest. Our regular meetings turned into pie-in-the-sky discussions
> around all of the things the Intellego project could be rather than
> determining and creating deliverables on the Intellego platform.

I believe the opposite happened, which is why some of us didn't have much
to add, especially myself :-p There was a pie in the sky period while we
were getting on the same page, but then it all became about GSoC,
conferences and grants.

> The content was also reduced to one-directional updates, which could just
> as easily be done on this list.

Yes, and if those are happening regularly that would be great for momentum
as well, but it's a bit chicken and egg. Will the updates keep happening if
we don't have a meeting scheduled at regular intervals? I don't like update
focused meetings either, I'd prefer to actually use the time set aside to
work together on something, but I think it helps to have the time set aside.