Install BMO Bugzilla instance

highm...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 9:41:59 PM7/6/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

Is it possible/practical to install BMO's port of Bugzilla for another company I am involved with? Some of the features available on BMO's version would be highly beneficial for me and they are not available in upstream Bugzilla...

Byron Jones

Jul 7, 2015, 2:36:19 AM7/7/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
it's possible but likely not practical -- BMO is tailored for mozilla's
specific processes and would likely require some work to fit alternative
requirements.

what features are you interested in? some have been implemented as
bugzilla extensions and it may be possible to install just those
features with minimal changes to a vanilla installation.

-glob
--
byron jones - :glob - bugzilla.mozilla.org team lead -

highm...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 10:31:48 AM7/7/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
NeedInfo and the new UI are of particular interest. I'm also interested in the Dashboards and user activity pages/reports. I've already installed InlineHistory and Splinter.

I think it would *REALLY* boost product reception if all the BMO features were upstreamed. Vanilla bugzilla is just not that great, especially when compared to fully integrated tracking systems like Phabricator, et al. I guess I just never really understood why this fork is being encouraged/continued instead of trying to enhance the core product itself with these changes. Even if they are all extensions (Core extensions, that is, with updates/upgrades with each release) that would be awesome.

Just my .02

Ed Morley

Jul 7, 2015, 10:39:47 AM7/7/15
to highm...@gmail.com, mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
On 7 July 2015 at 15:31, <highm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> NeedInfo and the new UI are of particular interest. I'm also interested in
> the Dashboards and user activity pages/reports. I've already installed
> InlineHistory and Splinter.

I don't know if you've already found it, but the source for BMO is at
https://github.com/mozilla/webtools-bmo-bugzilla (or to be precise, a
Github mirror of the source, but I find it more useful than git.mozilla.org)
- in case you wish to use that directly. Glob is correct in that there are
Mozilla-specific-ism baked in - but using that as your base may be less
effort than trying to modify stock Bugzilla.

The BMO team will have to comment on the rest of your email.

Best wishes,

Ed

Gervase Markham

Jul 8, 2015, 5:32:31 AM7/8/15
to highm...@gmail.com
On 07/07/15 15:31, highm...@gmail.com wrote:
> NeedInfo and the new UI are of particular interest.

NeedInfo is an extension, as is BugModal (the new UI). However, both may
have Mozilla-isms in them, so you would need to check.

> I'm also
> interested in the Dashboards and user activity pages/reports.

There is also an extension named MyDashboard. The user activity reports
are part of the BMO extension.

> I think it would *REALLY* boost product reception if all the BMO
> features were upstreamed.

Some are not appropriate, but I agree that it would be great to upstream
many of them. However, the upstream team has been preoccupied until,
well, today with releasing 5.0. And there aren't many of us, and we
could always do with some more help. If you end up adapting these
extensions to work with stock Bugzilla (for bonus points: in a way which
makes it easy for BMO to keep using them), we'd love it if you shared
your work with us.

Gerv

Byron Jones

Jul 8, 2015, 11:57:03 AM7/8/15
highm...@gmail.com wrote:
> NeedInfo and the new UI are of particular interest. I'm also
> interested in the Dashboards and user activity pages/reports. I've
> already installed InlineHistory and Splinter.

the needinfo extension is pretty well stand-alone and should work with
minimal modification in other installations. it's already deployed in
other not-bmo installations.

the new UI is also currently contained to the BugModal extension. be
aware that's very much a work in progress and is designed around
mozilla's specific needs. it will require modifications to work on
other installations, as well as addition hooks and customisations to
bugzilla itself (eg. it uses jquery, which won't be part of bugzilla
until version 6).

as gerv mentioned the dashboards are also extensions, although they use
yui3 so make sure you grab that too (from the js/ directory). "at some
time" we plan on porting them from yui to jquery.

there's been some work on upstreaming the user activity report .. see
bug 387586. unfortunately it's stalled due other priorities. i'm sure
dylan wouldn't complain if you wanted to finish up that patch for him :)

> I think it would *REALLY* boost product reception if all the BMO
> features were upstreamed. Vanilla bugzilla is just not that great,
> especially when compared to fully integrated tracking systems like
> Phabricator, et al. I guess I just never really understood why this
> fork is being encouraged/continued instead of trying to enhance the
> core product itself with these changes.

the primary reasons why this hasn't happened is a lot of these are
mozilla specific, or would require much more effort in terms of time to
deploy upstream than we have available (upstream code needs to be
concerned with things such as localisations, backwards compatibility,
and configurability which are not applicable to bmo only features). to
be honest i wish things were different, but that's where we are today.

highm...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2015, 12:07:53 PM7/9/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
I hearya. I wish I was able to easily help with these changes, unfortunately perl is not my strong suit (or weak suit, for that matter). If I do manage to get anything done, I'll be sure to upstream. I appreciate all your help.

highm...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2015, 11:25:44 AM7/16/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
FYI, I realize now where a lot of my issues with integrating these items come from, I've been using the extensions in the official Bugzilla extensions REPO, not the extensions folder of the BMO REPO. I'll change and test, hopefully that should improve my experience.