[FEEDBACK] BMO Development using Docker

David Lawrence

Dec 16, 2014, 6:01:56 PM12/16/14
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
Greetings.

Ever wanted a quick and easy way to help the Bugzilla guys out and try your hand
at developing code for bugzilla.mozilla.org? Well we are getting close to having a turn
key solution that will make it that much easier.

I have been using Docker[1] for development of BMO code personally for a while now
with good luck but it was highly tied to my own environment. So I worked on getting
a github repo put together to allow people to create their own pseudo BMO development
environment that they can use locally and help us with patches, testing, etc.

I am very close to having a final product that I would like to announce more broadly,
but I was hoping some of you could try it out before hand and give me feedback
and/or report issues.

Here is the basic instructions to get started:

1. Checkout the code from my github repo[2]. Make sure to specify the bmo branch.
2. Install Docker[1], Fig[3], and boot2docker[4] (if needed for OSX) as per their own
instructions. Their are links and other helpful information in the github repo's
README.md.
3. cd /path/to/checkout
4. fig build
5. Go to Starbucks, have a cappucino, and come back.
5. fig up
6. In browser, go to http://localhost:8080/bmo and login as admin.

Let me know if you run into any problems or have any suggestions to make it better.
I am 'dkl' in #bteam on IRC or you can file a bug[5] in Bugzilla and get my attention
that way.

Thanks!
dkl

[1] https://docs.docker.com/installation/#installation
[2] https://github.com/dklawren/docker-bugzilla/tree/bmo
[3] http://www.fig.sh/install.html
[4] https://docs.docker.com/installation/mac/
[5] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=bugzilla.mozilla.org&component=Developer+Box

--
David Lawrence
d...@mozilla.com

Mark Côté

Dec 24, 2014, 4:42:56 PM12/24/14
On 2014-12-16 6:00 PM, David Lawrence wrote:
> I am very close to having a final product that I would like to announce more broadly,
> but I was hoping some of you could try it out before hand and give me feedback
> and/or report issues.

Trying this on OS X. Ran into some problems; filed as bug 1115420.
Wanted to mention one other point about the instructions here:

> [2] https://github.com/dklawren/docker-bugzilla/tree/bmo

This should be https://github.com/dklawren/docker-bugzilla

Mark