Two questions about reporting a new issue

Feifei Tu

Jul 2, 2015, 10:58:34 AM7/2/15
to tools-bmo
Hi all,

I am a Ph.D student in Data Analysis Group, Software Engineering Institute, Peking University. Our group is mining software repository. This is our homepage, https://passion-lab.org

Now, I need your help to figure out two questions. They are about reporting a new issue.
1. When enter a bug(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi), at first glance, I need to choose a product among Firefox/ Firefox OS/ Webmaker/ Thunderbird/ Marketplace. Then I find complete product list in other products. I wonder if this would mislead reporter, for example, a Firefox for Android issue is reported in Firefox product. What's more important, I'd like to know when File a Bug page became like this now? How does File a Bug page change? What made you make such decisions?

2. I noticed that Bugzilla didn't have automatic duplicate detection feature (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=release-notes.html), so my question is when this feature was added in bugzilla.mozilla.org? Is it the same time as Bugzilla 4.0 release, i.e., February 15 2011?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Feifei

TuFeifei | 涂菲菲
Computer Science
Peking University
No.5 Yiheyuan Road
Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.China 100871
Mobile: +86 188 1176 7669 | Email: tufe...@pku.edu.cn

Byron Jones

Jul 6, 2015, 10:36:36 AM7/6/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
> 1. When enter a bug(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi), at
> first glance, I need to choose a product among Firefox/ Firefox OS/
> Webmaker/ Thunderbird/ Marketplace. Then I find complete product
> list in other products. I wonder if this would mislead reporter, for
> example, a Firefox for Android issue is reported in Firefox product.

for our core products (firefox in particular), reporters are directed to
a generic "firefox" product. it should be moved to are more relevant
product by the triage team.

> What's more important, I'd like to know when File a Bug page became
> like this now? How does File a Bug page change? What made you make
> such decisions?

the bug entry form has changed a lot over the years. we make changes
based on feedback from our users, the triage team, and developers.

> 2. I noticed that Bugzilla didn't have automatic duplicate detection
> feature, so my question is when this feature was added in
> bugzilla.mozilla.org? Is it the same time as Bugzilla 4.0 release,
> i.e., February 15 2011?

bugzilla.mozilla.org does have duplicate detection. you see this in the
default form for most users as a separate step for "finding existing bugs".

bugzilla.mozilla.org is built on top of bugzilla 4.0, but contains a
large number of customisations and features that are present in more
recent bugzilla versions.

-glob

--
byron jones - :glob - bugzilla.mozilla.org team lead -

Feifei Tu

Jul 7, 2015, 10:00:08 AM7/7/15
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
> > 1. When enter a bug(https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi), at
> > first glance, I need to choose a product among Firefox/ Firefox OS/
> > Webmaker/ Thunderbird/ Marketplace. Then I find complete product
> > list in other products. I wonder if this would mislead reporter, for
> > example, a Firefox for Android issue is reported in Firefox product.
>
> for our core products (firefox in particular), reporters are directed to
> a generic "firefox" product. it should be moved to are more relevant
> product by the triage team.

Do the triage team waste time and energy in this way? For example, it is easy for reporters to judge whether an issue belongs to "Firefox for Android" or "Firefox for IOS", but reporters are very likely to report a "Firefox" issue because they are directed to generic "Firefox" product; then, the triage team has to change the issue's product from "Firefox" to "Firefox for XXX".

When you change "File a Bug" page (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi#h=product%7C), do you have some relevant materials (including requirements documents, UI design documents...)? Did reporters be directed to detailed products several years ago? When did reporters begin to be directed to a generic product?

> > 2. I noticed that Bugzilla didn't have automatic duplicate detection
> > feature, so my question is when this feature was added in
> > bugzilla.mozilla.org? Is it the same time as Bugzilla 4.0 release,
> > i.e., February 15 2011?
>
> bugzilla.mozilla.org does have duplicate detection. you see this in the
> default form for most users as a separate step for "finding existing bugs".
>
> bugzilla.mozilla.org is built on top of bugzilla 4.0, but contains a
> large number of customisations and features that are present in more
> recent bugzilla versions.

Now, I want to report a new issue in bugzilla.mozilla.org, and I have to detect duplicate reports. However, I don't need to detect duplicate reports before bugzilla.mozilla.org has duplicate detection. I want to know when bugzilla.mozilla.org has duplicate detection. (When reporters have to detect duplicate reports?)