Disabling Support for Skins (Themes) on BMO on May 15

Emma Humphries

May 2, 2017, 8:32:53 PM5/2/17
to dev. planning, Firefox Dev, tool...@lists.mozilla.org
On May 15th we will disable the preference enabling selecting an
alternate theme on bugzilla.mozilla.org and all users will switch to
the default skin.

We are doing this because the current theming system is not an
additive layer on the default skin. There's significant differences in
skins at the structural level and that adds time to UI work. With a
limited team we need to limit the scope of work when touching the UI.

This is also consistent with upstream Bugzilla which announced that
they will be removing theme support.

If you want to alter the bugzilla.mozilla.org theme, we recommend
using an add-on like Stylish[1].

1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/stylish/

Thanks,

-- Emma, for the BMO team

Emma Humphries

May 2, 2017, 10:13:52 PM5/2/17
to dev. planning, Firefox Dev, tool...@lists.mozilla.org
On May 15th we will disable the preference enabling selecting an
alternate theme on bugzilla.mozilla.org and all users will switch to
the default skin.

We are doing this because the current theming system is not an
additive layer on the default skin. There's significant differences in
skins at the structural level and that adds time to UI work. With a
limited team we need to limit the scope of work when touching the UI.
*This is consistent with Red Hat's Bugzilla instance.*