Bulk Closing Intermittents

Emma Humphries

Jul 7, 2017, 10:35:59 PM7/7/17
to dev-platform, dev-tree-management, tool...@lists.mozilla.org
As discussed earlier, Joel and I have kicked off a process to close
intermittent test failures in Bugzilla.

If a test associated with a bug does not fail in 21 days, we'll close the
bug as RESOLVED:INCOMPLETE.

The first batch of intermittent bugs to close has 5,130 tickets. I have a
script to close these, but to close these without bug spam requires DBA
intervention.

I'd like to run the closures over the weekend but that's going to create a
non-trivial amount of bug spam for some of you.

There is a way to get rid of the bug spam!

Every bug we close will have the keyword `bulk-close-intermittents` added
to it.

If you search for messages from `bugzill...@mozilla.org` containing
`bulk-close-intermittents` you can isolate, review, and remove those
messages.

Thank you for your patience while we all work to get the noise out of
Bugzilla so we can find the strong signals on what we must focus on to
deliver Firefox 57 in November.

-- Emma

Kartikaya Gupta

Jul 10, 2017, 8:29:27 AM7/10/17
to Emma Humphries, dev-platform, tool...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-tree-management
It might be a good idea to integrate this process with the
OrangeFactor Robot, to avoid race conditions like what happened on bug
1328486 (it was bulk-closed, and then a couple of hours later the OF
robot reported that there were two failures this week - but the bug
remained closed).

Cheers,
kats

Dylan Hardison

Jul 10, 2017, 10:28:17 AM7/10/17
to dev-platform, tool...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-tree-management

> On Jul 7, 2017, at 19:35, Emma Humphries <em...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> The first batch of intermittent bugs to close has 5,130 tickets. I have a
> script to close these, but to close these without bug spam requires DBA
> intervention.

This is not a correct statement. DBAs do not modify bugzilla data.
Instead we have some functionality that directly manipulates the data model, which then updates the DB.
We have batch processes that can make these changes without sending email, but this is far and away from
having a DBA intervention.

I chose to point this out for two reasons -- the first being it would deeply concern me, if I was an outsider, to have an important
production app subject to a process of "the DBA goes and changes some tables" and secondly because it would imply that responsibility
of the contents to the database lies with operations. It should absolutely never be the case that we ask a DBA to change the contents of the bugzilla database
without going through the application's model/business logic layer (and certainly not without the involvement of the bmo module owners).

Emma Humphries

Jul 10, 2017, 1:43:37 PM7/10/17
to Dylan Hardison, dev-platform, dev-tree-management, tool...@lists.mozilla.org
Dylan,

Thank you for clarifying that difference. That was sloppy of me to describe
that as a DBA operation.

-- Emma

Emma Humphries

Jul 10, 2017, 1:48:30 PM7/10/17
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-platform, tool...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-tree-management
This was the first time we bulk closed these bugs, and there will be some
glitches. I don't consider this to be a blocker on continuing this work.

Next time we do this, it won't be 5,000+ bugs. OrangeBot runs on Sundays,
so we can do the cleanup on Monday.

The long term goal is to stop using Bugzilla to record every intermittent
test failure and only use it for test failures we intend to address.

-- Emma