Yenc support in Thunderbird?

Vegard Krog Petersen

May 18, 2006, 2:59:15 PM5/18/06

Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.

So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)

Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Chris Ilias

May 18, 2006, 6:28:46 PM5/18/06
_Vegard Krog Petersen_ spoke thusly on 18/05/2006 2:59 PM:

> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>
> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>
> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)

Thunderbird will automatically decode yEnc binaries, but cannot combine
multi-part binaries, which means you can only use it on single-part
binaries.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Ron K.

May 18, 2006, 6:45:14 PM5/18/06
T-bird Leader Chris Ilias radioed the tower On 5/18/2006 6:28 PM:

> _Vegard Krog Petersen_ spoke thusly on 18/05/2006 2:59 PM:
>> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>>
>> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
>> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>>
>> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)
>
> Thunderbird will automatically decode yEnc binaries, but cannot combine
> multi-part binaries, which means you can only use it on single-part
> binaries.

Yes, and only those yenc binaries that do not have a part one of one
header entry on the second line of the header. TB treats that as a
multi-part file even though it is a single part file.

--
Ron K.
Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting.

Ron Hunter

May 19, 2006, 3:42:26 AM5/19/06
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Vegard Krog Petersen_ spoke thusly on 18/05/2006 2:59 PM:
>> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>>
>> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
>> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>>
>> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)
>
> Thunderbird will automatically decode yEnc binaries, but cannot combine
> multi-part binaries, which means you can only use it on single-part
> binaries.
Sigh. Here we go again:

TB will decode single part binaries IF they are not posted as part of a
SERIES. It will also not decode multi-part binaries.
These exclusions render the function VERY nearly useless.

Ron Ruble

May 19, 2006, 6:37:36 AM5/19/06
Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:

> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>
> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>
> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)
>
> regards from

In addition to the responses you have received, there's a trick
you can use for those messages that don't fall into the cases
mentioned.

Check this page: "How to Combine and Decode Multi-part
Newsgroup Messages"

http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz_combine.html

You'll need a program to decode yenc-encoded files outside
thunderbird. Search Google for one you like, or you can
try the one listed in the article. There's also a link to
an extension for this, which I've never tried. I've been
using a separate program for newsgroup binaries.

Vegard Krog Petersen

May 19, 2006, 7:26:19 AM5/19/06

Thanks all. This was not easy! :-)

Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries groups? If I
find one that works 'out of the box' I might consider using that one for
the three binary groups I want to follow,

Christopher Jahn

May 19, 2006, 8:15:34 AM5/19/06
Vegard Krog Petersen <vegard_kro...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries
> groups? If I find one that works 'out of the box' I might
> consider using that one for the three binary groups I want to
> follow,

Xnews is great.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Nothin' ain't worth nothin', but it's free.

Chris Ilias

May 19, 2006, 5:07:54 PM5/19/06
_Vegard Krog Petersen_ spoke thusly on 19/05/2006 7:26 AM:

> Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries groups?

Xnews <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

Ron Hunter

May 20, 2006, 4:30:30 AM5/20/06
Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
> on 19.05.2006 12:37 Ron Ruble wrote:
>> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
>>>
>>> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>>>
>>> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
>>> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>>>
>>> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)
>>>
>>> regards from
>>>

>> In addition to the responses you have received, there's a trick
>> you can use for those messages that don't fall into the cases
>> mentioned.
>>
>> Check this page: "How to Combine and Decode Multi-part
>> Newsgroup Messages"
>>
>> http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz_combine.html
>>
>> You'll need a program to decode yenc-encoded files outside
>> thunderbird. Search Google for one you like, or you can
>> try the one listed in the article. There's also a link to
>> an extension for this, which I've never tried. I've been
>> using a separate program for newsgroup binaries.
>>

> Thanks all. This was not easy! :-)
>
> Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries groups? If I
> find one that works 'out of the box' I might consider using that one for
> the three binary groups I want to follow,
>
> regards from

Xnews. Works pretty well (steep learning curve), and is free.

Eustace

May 20, 2006, 4:48:00 AM5/20/06

I tried it some time back. It was OK, I remember, however, that it was
not very good with downloading whole newsgroups. Because I have dial-up,
I prefer to specify binary groups for viewing offline, and have them
downloaded when I am away from the computer; then I check them out after
all the messages have been downloaded. I remember that this was not too
easy with Xnews...

Ron Ruble

May 20, 2006, 10:40:43 AM5/20/06
Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
> on 19.05.2006 12:37 Ron Ruble wrote:
>> Vegard Krog Petersen wrote:
>>>
>>> Hooraayy! I've gotten access to some binaries groups again.
>>>
>>> So the natural question arises: How do I view Yenc-coded images the
>>> fastest and easiest way (without changing away from Thunderbird...) :-)
>>>
>>> Explanations in "spoon-fulls" if possible :-)
>>>
>>> regards from
>>>

>> In addition to the responses you have received, there's a trick
>> you can use for those messages that don't fall into the cases
>> mentioned.
>>
>> Check this page: "How to Combine and Decode Multi-part
>> Newsgroup Messages"
>>
>> http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz_combine.html
>>
>> You'll need a program to decode yenc-encoded files outside
>> thunderbird. Search Google for one you like, or you can
>> try the one listed in the article. There's also a link to
>> an extension for this, which I've never tried. I've been
>> using a separate program for newsgroup binaries.
>>

> Thanks all. This was not easy! :-)
>
> Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries groups? If I
> find one that works 'out of the box' I might consider using that one for
> the three binary groups I want to follow,
>
> regards from

Seems like most folks like xnews. Don't go by me, I'm
using a perlscript called UBH (Universal Binary Harvester).

Great if you like the command-line control, but not an
easy tool.

Ron Hunter

May 20, 2006, 1:47:12 PM5/20/06
If you want a news reader set up for offline reading, then Free Agent is
a good choice.

NightStalker

Jun 4, 2006, 7:04:59 PM6/4/06
In article <l8adnVjOSaPGNvDZ...@mozilla.org>,
vegard_kro...@hotmail.com says...

> Thanks all. This was not easy! :-)
>
> Which newsreader would you recommend I use for the binaries groups? If I
> find one that works 'out of the box' I might consider using that one for
> the three binary groups I want to follow,
>
> regards from

Gravity, with the SuperGravity program overwritten.

See:

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

--

NightStalker

Ron Hunter

Jun 4, 2006, 9:38:32 PM6/4/06

I find that Xnews works well enough for my needs.

Message has been deleted