AOL IMAP mail "that mail is not currently available" error

d381e

Mar 20, 2012, 10:03:04 PM3/20/12
Today I've been getting constant popup messages in Thunderbird with an error: [number that varies] "that mail is not currently available" ..... "responded UID Fetch completed." The popup comes whenever a new message arrives, or when I change to a different folder in that account. Other accounts seem fine. It's a Netscape/AIM account, so I can't contact AOL for help. Any advice?

David

Jay Garcia

Mar 20, 2012, 10:44:57 PM3/20/12
On 20.03.2012 21:03, d381e wrote:

> Today I've been getting constant popup messages in Thunderbird with an error: [number that varies] "that mail is not currently available" ..... "responded UID Fetch completed." The popup comes whenever a new message arrives, or when I change to a different folder in that account. Other accounts seem fine. It's a Netscape/AIM account, so I can't contact AOL for help. Any advice?
>
> David

You can get AIM/Netscape web mail help:
http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

d381e

Mar 20, 2012, 11:12:28 PM3/20/12
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 20.03.2012 21:03, d381e wrote:

Thanks, Jay. I found the place to submit an email question, and did so.

Tomorrow I'll try to access Netscape mail on another computer where I have another Thunderbird IMAP account, and see if it's as messed up as it is on the laptop computer where I'm currently having the problem.

If it turns out that it's the Thunderbird IMAP account that's corrupt on just one computer, can I create a new IMAP account on that computer for the Netscape mail in Thunderbird giving it a different name without deleting the current (possibly corrupt) account?

If I have to delete the Thunderbird IMAP account and recreate it, will there be any way to preserve the customizations I've created: Virtual folders? Message Filters?

Thanks.
--
David

goodwin

Mar 21, 2012, 1:27:13 PM3/21/12
a simple google of "responded UID Fetch completed." turns up the answer
from 4 years ago.
Its from AOL's IMAP server.

see
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=592267&sid=a32a9c782c768657b924753d1688800a&start=15

and mind the wrap...

d381e

Mar 21, 2012, 2:13:37 PM3/21/12
I'm willing to try that (moving messages out of Inbox). First, though, I wanted to point out that I've since tried the same IMAP account in Thunderbird on another computer that has essentially the same profile. I didn't experience the problem on that computer. That makes me think that the problem isn't the AOL IMAP server itself, but something within Tbird. Does that make sense?
--
David

goodwin

Mar 21, 2012, 3:26:50 PM3/21/12
On 03/21/2012 11:13 AM, d381e wrote:

> That makes me think that the problem isn't the AOL IMAP server itself, but something within Tbird. Does that make sense?

I can't really comment on that - I don't IMAP and don't AOL. I'd
/guess/ that there is something different between those 2 profiles but
thats just a guess. The solution I referred to seemed to satisfy all
involved and /that/ makes sense to me...

d381e

Mar 21, 2012, 8:42:46 PM3/21/12
My IMAP mail now seems to be back in order, and I'll explain what I did in case it'll help others:

I tried to follow the instructions in the link you provided ("Alert Msg: 45 (1032) That Mail is not currently available."

However, when I tried to move messages to a new folder, it would move a few, then hang, so I gave that up.

Next: I tried a POP account that I'd created some time ago for AOL Mail, and started downloading messages. It would download a lot of messages, then hang with this error:
"The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.aim.com
responded: system failure: IOException while retrieving content for item [27817533]"

I went back to AOL webmail. I found the date area of the last successfully downloaded POP message, and tried to open the message above (newer than) the last message retrieved in POP. It wouldn't open, however, I was able to delete it in Webmail. I returned to the POP account and started downloading messages again until they stopped with the same error as above, and repeated by deleting in Webmail a few messages around the last good one. I had to do that a total of 3 times, I think. I also found some messages that had invalid dates: they showed up with today's time, even though they are months old, and I could find the actual dates only in full headers.

When the count of POP mail was similar to the IMAP count, I went back to IMAP. It started downloading messages, or at least giving download counts in the "Inbox - Downloading" line at the lower left of the window. When it completed, I was able to go into the IMAP Inbox without an error. When I went to the Trash folder, I got the error, no doubt from some of the "bad" messages deleted. I went back to Webmail, and went through the Trash, since there weren't a lot of messages left. I found 3 or 4 that I couldn't view or open, and deleted those. (Emptying the Trash probably would have done as well.) After that, the IMAP Trash refreshed, and I no longer got the error.

It seems to have come down to identifying and removing messages that somehow became corrupt. I'm not sure how I'd have gone about this without the POP account when dealing with thousands of messages.

At this point, I'm not getting errors in any of the IMAP folders. I'll watch it over the next few days, and hope it's fixed.
--
David