How to open .pdf file in Mozilla Thunderbird?

Larry Alkoff

Nov 12, 2009, 1:58:32 PM11/12/09
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Using Kubuntu 8.04.

I sometimes have to open a .pdf attachment in a Thunderbird email.

It's cumbersome to save the file first.
How can I directly open the .pdf attachment?

I suspect it's in about:config
but didn't find anything that might do it.

larry

David Pyles

Nov 12, 2009, 2:19:18 PM11/12/09

Go to your Tools>Options>Attachments, then Click "View & Edit Actions."
Find the PDF extension action, click on it to highlight it, then click
"Change Actions." Select either "Open with Default Application" if the
PDF reader is set as the default action, or Select "Open them with this
application" abd brows your way to your PDF reader. Click "OK."

Dave Pyles

Nir

Nov 12, 2009, 2:33:37 PM11/12/09

What application you use to read pdf?
For example I use evince or okular.

Just follow the following steps to map you pdf reader with Tb.

In console type

type your_pdf_read_application_name

It will return the location of main executable.
For example in my system, both evince and okular are under /usr/bin.

Now select any message in Tb that has a pdf attachment. Right click on
that attachment and select Open. You will be prompted to choose your
application. Browse and select the executable that you located using
'type' command' above.
Check 'do this automatically ...' option in the prompt window.

Don

Nov 12, 2009, 2:36:04 PM11/12/09

Where and how can I obtain a PDF addon for TB 2.0.0.23?
Thanks,
Don

Nir

Nov 12, 2009, 2:46:55 PM11/12/09
On Friday 13 November 2009 01:06 AM, Don wrote:

> Where and how can I obtain a PDF addon for TB 2.0.0.23?
> Thanks,

What you want to do with that PDF addon? Do you have any PDF reader like
Acrobat PDF reader installed in _your system_?

Don, if your issue is different than OP then my suggestion is post your
problem as a separate post.

goodwin

Nov 12, 2009, 8:21:54 PM11/12/09
On 11/12/2009 11:33 AM Nir scribbled:

<snip>

> What application you use to read pdf?
> For example I use evince or okular.

Nir, in looking I see okular to be part of KDE 4 - is it ahead of evince
or about the same?

Thanks,
jg

ralphbs

May 24, 2013, 4:53:11 PM5/24/13

Ken Whiton

May 29, 2013, 3:48:11 AM5/29/13
*-* On Fri, 24 May 2013, at 13:53:11 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <b9a7225a-8e4c-40c6...@googlegroups.com>,
*-* ralphbs wrote
*-* About Re: How to open .pdf file in Mozilla Thunderbird?
And your contribution, after resurrecting this 3 1/2 year old
thread is? ...

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152