Changing username and password

Sharon

Sep 21, 2011, 1:09:11 AM9/21/11
My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

Jari Fredriksson

Sep 21, 2011, 1:33:32 AM9/21/11
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
21.9.2011 8:09, Sharon kirjoitti:
> My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
> password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

Tools->Accounts->Server Settings->Username?

If you change that, it should ask for password when next connected.. I
think.

--

Chicken Little only has to be right once.

signature.asc

goodwin

Sep 21, 2011, 2:29:18 AM9/21/11
On 09/20/2011 10:09 PM, Sharon wrote:
> My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
> password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

tools>account settings>
bottom left column - Account Actions

add mail account...

be sure to have all needed input from your ISP - POP or IMAP info, SMTP,
security settings, ports, etc., etc.

Ron Hunter

Sep 21, 2011, 3:35:14 AM9/21/11
On 9/21/2011 12:09 AM, Sharon wrote:
> My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
> password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

The first time you try to log on, and get rejected, you will get a
chance to change your password. The user id is in the account settings,
general section.

Roy Smith

Sep 21, 2011, 10:32:46 AM9/21/11

Why would he want to add a new account when all he needs to do is change
the existing one?

--

Roy Smith
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

signature.asc

Roy Smith

Sep 21, 2011, 10:51:53 AM9/21/11
On 9/21/2011 12:09 AM, Sharon wrote:
> My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
> password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

There are a few things you need to do to facilitate such a change.
After you have made the user name and password change with your ISP, do
the following:

1. Click on Tools - Account Settings. Now under the name for your ISP
click on Server Settings. Towards the top of the screen you'll see
where the User Name is entered.

2. Now go to the bottom of the list in the left pane and click on
Outgoing Server. In the right pane click on the line that is for your
ISP, then click edit. Then towards the bottom of the window is where
you change the user name for the outgoing server. Click on OK to save
the changes.

3. Now click on Tools - Options - Security, then click on the passwords
tab, then click on the Saved Passwords button. Now highlight and delete
the mailbox: and SMTP: lines for your ISP and click OK.

Now restart Thunderbird and when you connect to your ISP for your mail
you will be prompted for the new password.

--

Roy Smith
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Thunderbird 6.0.2
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:49:56 AM

signature.asc

Sharon

Sep 21, 2011, 12:30:32 PM9/21/11
On 9/20/2011 10:09 PM, Sharon wrote:
> My ISP is making changes and is requiring us to change our user name and
> password for our email accounts. Where do I do that in Thunderbird (3.1.12)

Thanks, I can now log in to my email account and receive mail, but I
cannot send mail. When I try to send email I get the following error
message: "Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server
mail.npgcable.com timed out. Try again or contact your network
administrator." We have been directed t to check that the outgoing mail
server requires authentication, but that is the onlu information given.
when I called tech support I was told that they only support Outlook!

Dave Pyles

Sep 21, 2011, 1:02:25 PM9/21/11
Right click in any one of your account names and select settings.
Scroll to the bottom of the list to "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" and select
it. In the window that comes up, select your Outgoing server name (if
there is only 1 it will already be selected). Click edit and enter your
new username. When you try to send an email, you should be prompted for
a password.

The settings will be the same whether you are using Outlook of
Thunderbird, so if just entering your new password doesn't work, you may
need to call your ISP back and ask then for the SMTP settings for
Outlook, then enter them into the appropriate boxes in Thunderbird.
Dave Pyles

goodwin

Sep 21, 2011, 1:17:08 PM9/21/11
Your ISP website states there may be problems today, 9/21 - I didn't
delve into why.

You need to set your SMTP to use authentication - choose simple password
for starters, your ISP doesn't specify anything else.

Mike Easter

Sep 21, 2011, 3:19:51 PM9/21/11
According to these pages, suddenlink has taken over your npgcable
including mailservers' names.

Browser mail.npgcable.com redirects to
http://www.suddenlink.com/mailsetup/

<q> Once you have registered your email address(es), log in with your
email address and change your server names to reflect your email domain
on 9/21/11.

* Incoming Mail (POP): pop.domain.com
(pop.suddenlink.net, pop.npgcable.com, pop.stjoelive.com)
* Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.domain.com
(smtp.suddenlink.net, smtp.npgcable.com, smtp.stjoelive.com)
* Incoming Mail (IMAP): imap.domain.com
(imap.suddenlink.net, imap.npgcable.com, imap.stjoelive.com)
</q>

And suddenlink welcomes you here with similar info
http://www.suddenlink.com/welcome/

And provides a very useful .pdf here
http://static.suddenlink.synacor.com/ul/pdf/welcome/pop_imap.pdf

<q>
On September 21st but not before, if you are a POP or IMAP user, you
must update
your email account settings in order to continue to use email. You must
register for a
Suddenlink.net account and set up email before changing your settings on
9/21/11.
The exact location of the fields & selection will differ by email client
but the below
fields must be updated:
Update username to the full email address
(examples: bill....@suddenlink.net -- jane...@npgcable.com
jim....@stjoelive.com )
Update your password to match your Suddenlink online account
password
Select “Require SMTP authentication for outgoing mail”
</q>

The .pdf screenshots are all about Outlook 2010; unfortunately the
screenshots don't include the OL Advanced tab for the server settings.

--
Mike Easter

Roy Smith

Sep 21, 2011, 3:29:03 PM9/21/11
Did you remember to change your username in the Outgoing Server settings?

--

Roy Smith
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Thunderbird 6.0.2
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:28:59 PM

signature.asc

Ron Hunter

Sep 21, 2011, 5:15:18 PM9/21/11
On 9/21/2011 11:30 AM, Sharon wrote:
Then tell them you are using Outlook, and then take the information, and
put it into TB. Both need the same information to send mail.

Sharon

Sep 21, 2011, 11:14:09 PM9/21/11
Thanks, I did see all that but I had more questions specifically
regarding setting for Thunderbird. When I called their tech number I was
told that they do not know how to configure Thunderbird...that they only
are trained in and support Outlook. I was able to get my incoming mail
this morning but wasn't able to send mail. Finally, after trial and
error I finally was able to send. Under the Outgoing SMTP section, there
were other mail servers listed other than smtp.npgcable.com.
SMTP.npgcable.com was listed as default, but the outgoing mail didn't
work until I removed the other listed mail servers. Phone lines to
Suddenlink were jammed all day so they had lots of problems and people
aren't very happy.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

goodwin

Sep 21, 2011, 11:39:53 PM9/21/11
On 09/21/2011 08:14 PM, Sharon wrote:

> SMTP.npgcable.com was listed as default, but the outgoing mail didn't
> work until I removed the other listed mail servers. Phone lines to
> Suddenlink were jammed all day so they had lots of problems and people
> aren't very happy.

for future reference, Tbird doesn't always play nice when faced with
multiple SMTP servers - always best to have just 1 listed there per profile.

Ann Watson

Sep 22, 2011, 9:49:02 AM9/22/11
I have four different SMTP servers in one profile and haven't
noticed any problems.

AW

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sep 22, 2011, 10:19:28 AM9/22/11
..and to reinforce, I have six in one profile with no problems.

One thing one must remember is on each account's main settings page (in
Account Settings, of course) is to *set the one that address uses* for
each of your email addresses. See: "Outgoing Server (SMTP):" and pick
the right one in that list control.

--
-bts

goodwin

Sep 22, 2011, 11:18:50 AM9/22/11
thats all well and good, I was just saying sometimes - I have had minor
problems in the past, though that may have been the install wizard used
back in 3.0.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sep 22, 2011, 11:20:59 AM9/22/11
goodwin wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> <snippage>
>> One thing one must remember is on each account's main settings page (in
>> Account Settings, of course) is to *set the one that address uses* for
>> each of your email addresses. See: "Outgoing Server (SMTP):" and pick
>> the right one in that list control.
>>
> thats all well and good, I was just saying sometimes - I have had minor
> problems in the past, though that may have been the install wizard used
> back in 3.0.

Yes, you do have to be careful there. That wizard is not as smart as it
should be. I especially do not like that it always wants to default to an
IMAP account when setting up a new address.

robertmiles

Sep 24, 2011, 4:04:13 PM9/24/11
On Sep 22, 9:19 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
And I haven't even been able to get two SMTP servers to work
correctly.
All in the same profile.

Mike Easter

Sep 24, 2011, 4:42:36 PM9/24/11
robertmiles wrote:

> And I haven't even been able to get two SMTP servers to work
> correctly.
> All in the same profile.

What do you mean?

Is this a new topic?