Links not showing up as links

Jack Elliott

Nov 18, 2010, 12:23:54 PM11/18/10
On my wife's computer (yes, it's always about my wife's computer, running
Win 7 and TB 3) web links do not show up as clickable links in some
messages.

In other words, a properly-formatted URL, like
http://www.cnn.com/ requires her to cut and paste it into the Address bar
of her browser.

But that's only when they are emails coming from me, using Ubuntu's email
client, Evolution. Links in mails from others using Outlook, TB, and
other clients are clickable.

I'm sending mail in html format, and I could highlight the text and
explicitly add a link, but I thought that TB would have the smarts to
convert even a plaintext link into something clickable.

Maybe I could email an example to someone here for examination?

I'm not looking for help to diagnose an Evolution problem, just trying to
figure out why her TB doesn't recognize these links as links. Maybe there
is something that could be adjusted in her TB.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Jay Garcia

Nov 18, 2010, 12:37:53 PM11/18/10

Nov 18, 2010, 12:40:11 PM11/18/10

Try viewing the message in plain/text mode -- that should result in the
links being activated automatically.

HTML already has anchor tags to make links functional, so I'm guessing
that it's just assumed that HTML documents are taken essentially "as is"
without after-the-fact modifications. Consider this scenario:

A user crafts an HTML eMail that displays the web page address
"http://www.exmaple.com/" but, behind the scenes, links it to a different
web site like http://www.lumbercartel.ca/ -- what is the right thing to
do, keep the link the way it is, or change it on-the-fly? You may think
that because the URIs are very different that the user should be notified,
but what if the URIs are the same with the exception of the actual link
going to a page within that site? Should that be changed as well?

With an HTML document, if it is intended NOT to make a URI functional,
then that should be respected because this is how things work in web
browsers too -- there needs to be consistency.

--
The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Tarkus

Nov 18, 2010, 12:46:41 PM11/18/10
On 11/18/2010 9:37 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.11.2010 11:23, Jack Elliott wrote:

Um...

Jay Garcia

Nov 18, 2010, 12:52:35 PM11/18/10

Nov 18, 2010, 2:39:18 PM11/18/10

Happens to me sometimes, with mail from me to me on the other computer.
A workaround until (or if) you find a permanent solution: Ask your wife
to start to reply, then close window, thus saving it to drafts. In the
Drafts window, it may well now be clickable (but not if it's opened as
if to Reply).

--
john mcwilliams

Tarkus

Nov 18, 2010, 3:43:49 PM11/18/10
On 11/18/2010 9:52 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 18.11.2010 11:46, Tarkus wrote:

No, but why are you asking him to adjust his send options in TB, when he
said it's only a problem when he sends mail from Evolution? He's asking
if there's something his wife can do on the receiving end.

David E. Ross

Nov 18, 2010, 3:44:57 PM11/18/10

I see this (above) often in HTML-formatted messages. In fact, this is a
frequent dodge used in phishing: You see a link displayed in a message,
but the actual URI is quite different. Such a dodge will not work in
ASCII-formatted messages.

> With an HTML document, if it is intended NOT to make a URI functional,
> then that should be respected because this is how things work in web
> browsers too -- there needs to be consistency.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I might filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.

Jay Garcia

Nov 18, 2010, 4:47:14 PM11/18/10

Nov 18, 2010, 4:49:06 PM11/18/10

Nov 18, 2010, 5:33:56 PM11/18/10

Hang on -- I may have phrased my request poorly. What I meant was that I
am not looking to this group for help with Evolution. I was previously
using TB on this Ubuntu machine but ran into big cpu usage -- posted an
inquiry about it maybe four months ago, something like "high and cyclic
cpu usage" was the subject, even included a link to a screenshot showing
the issue, but no one responded. Taking matters into my own hands, I
switched to Evolution which cured the cpu problem but it's not as nice a
program as TB. Anyway, what I was hoping is that someone here could
volunteer for me to send them a sample message out of Evolution so they
could eyeball it and see if the link is not formatted correctly. It that
turns out to be the case then I'll take the issue to an Evolution support
group -- if one exists, it doesn't have nearly the broad base as TB.

And I was also inquiring about the more general case of whether TB should
not automatically convert strings formatted as links into actual clickable
links or not.

Terry R.

Nov 18, 2010, 5:43:40 PM11/18/10
On 11/18/2010 2:33 PM On a whim, Jack Elliott pounded out on the keyboard

Hi Jack,

I don't have high CPU usage, but I do have high RAM usage over 3
different versions of TB.

You can send me a sample message. Just read the info on my sig.

Terry R.

Jay Garcia

Nov 18, 2010, 6:03:10 PM11/18/10

Nov 18, 2010, 6:38:46 PM11/18/10

It's not that his mail is classified as phishing. I was merely
commenting that the visible URI in HTML-formatted E-mail might not be
the actual URI that you get when you select the link and that this is a
common ploy by phishers.

Terry R.

Nov 18, 2010, 6:52:39 PM11/18/10
On 11/18/2010 9:23 AM On a whim, Jack Elliott pounded out on the keyboard

Jack,

I just looked at the source of the two email messages you sent. The one
that had a valid link shows a proper tag:
<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com">www.cnn.com</A>

The one you sent using FF "Send Link" doesn't have the proper tag:
<PRE>
http://mixonline.com/gear/buyersguides/audio_solidstate_mic_preamps/
</PRE>

Why TB only displays it as text and yet Gmail displayed a valid link, is
what I will guess is the "Standards Compliant" perfection of Moz products.

John McWilliams

Nov 18, 2010, 6:53:20 PM11/18/10

Yes, and it's a really bad job of phishing when they don't even fake the
URL's appearing to go to the legitimate site. Usually *really* poor
English goes along with it.

--
john mcwilliams

Ralph Fox

Nov 19, 2010, 1:56:09 AM11/19/10
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:23:54 -0600, in message news://news.mozilla.org:119/u9mdncd51Yi3_HjR...@mozilla.org
Jack Elliott wrote:

On my wife's computer (yes, it's always about my wife's computer, running
Win 7 and TB 3) web links do not show up as clickable links in some
messages.

In other words, a properly-formatted URL, like
http://www.cnn.com/ requires her to cut and paste it into the Address bar
of her browser.

But that's only when they are emails coming from me, using Ubuntu's email
client, Evolution. Links in mails from others using Outlook, TB, and
other clients are clickable.

I'm sending mail in html format, and I could highlight the text and
explicitly add a link, but I thought that TB would have the smarts to
convert even a plaintext link into something clickable.

One of the differences between HTML and plain text is that
  • In HTML, it is the sender (or their program) which is responsible for highlighting links and making them clickable.
  • In plain text, it is the recipient (or their program) which is responsible for highlighting links and making them clickable.

Maybe I could email an example to someone here for examination?

No need; here is an example.     [Example to be viewed in HTML]

Link is clickable in HTML, because the sender made it so:    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/
Link is not clickable in HTML, because the sender did not make it so:    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/

I'm not looking for help to diagnose an Evolution problem, just trying to
figure out why her TB doesn't recognize these links as links. Maybe there
is something that could be adjusted in her TB.

This is normal in most mail clients when viewing an HTML message in HTML, and the sender has not made a link clickable.

Adjustments
  • Switch to "View >> Message Body As >> Plain Text"
  • Maybe there is a Thunderbird add-on for this?

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Nov 19, 2010, 4:40:05 AM11/19/10
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:52:39 -0800, in message
Terry R. wrote:

> Why TB only displays it as text and yet Gmail displayed a valid link,

— Microsoft Outlook only displays it as text.
— Outlook Express only displays it as text.
— Windows Live mail (wlmail.exe) only displays it as text.

> is
> what I will guess is the "Standards Compliant" perfection of Moz products.

I would suggest that it is worth testing a little more more widely
before drawing conclusions. In this matter, Gmail (not Thunderbird)
is the exception.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Nov 19, 2010, 4:52:22 AM11/19/10
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 19:56:09 +1300, in message news://news.mozilla.org:119/js6dnYOOc58ju3vR...@mozilla.org
Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:23:54 -0600, in message news://news.mozilla.org:119/u9mdncd51Yi3_HjR...@mozilla.org
> Jack Elliott wrote:
>
>> Maybe there is something that could be adjusted in her TB.
>

> * Maybe there is a Thunderbird add-on for this?

Follow-up -- perhaps the "Text Link" add-on
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1939/

I have not used it myself, so I cannot give feedback on it.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Jay Garcia

Nov 19, 2010, 8:09:56 AM11/19/10
On 19.11.2010 00:56, Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:23:54 -0600, in message
> Jack Elliott wrote:
>
>> On my wife's computer (yes, it's always about my wife's computer, running
>> Win 7 and TB 3) web links do not show up as clickable links in some
>> messages.
>>
>> In other words, a properly-formatted URL, like
>> http://www.cnn.com/ requires her to cut and paste it into the Address bar
>> of her browser.
>>
>> But that's only when they are emails coming from me, using Ubuntu's email
>> client, Evolution. Links in mails from others using Outlook, TB, and
>> other clients are clickable.
>>
>> I'm sending mail in html format, and I could highlight the text and
>> explicitly add a link, but I thought that TB would have the smarts to
>> convert even a plaintext link into something clickable.
>
> One of the differences between HTML and plain text is that
>

> * In HTML, it is the *sender* (or their program) which is

> responsible for highlighting links and making them clickable.

> * In plain text, it is the *recipient* (or their program) which is

> responsible for highlighting links and making them clickable.
>

>> Maybe I could email an example to someone here for examination?
>
> No need; here is an example. [Example to be viewed in HTML]
>
> Link is clickable in HTML, because the sender made it so:
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/
> Link is not clickable in HTML, because the sender did not make it so:
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/
>

>> I'm not looking for help to diagnose an Evolution problem, just trying to
>> figure out why her TB doesn't recognize these links as links. Maybe there
>> is something that could be adjusted in her TB.
>

> This is normal in most mail clients when viewing an HTML message *in
> HTML*, and the sender has not made a link clickable.
>
> Adjustments
>
> * Switch to "View >> Message Body As >> *Plain Text*"
> * Maybe there is a Thunderbird add-on
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/> for this?
>

> --
> Kind regards
> Ralph

Right, not clickable because it's not a valid link in HTML but I don't
think that's the case with Jack's email to his wife - it's gotten way
too confusing as to what's what during this thread as well as private
emails, etc.

However, in retrospect, sending in the correct format just MAY be the
answer .. Jack?

Jack Elliott

Nov 19, 2010, 9:26:41 AM11/19/10

No argument that the problem appears to be on the sending end. It seems
to be something goofy in Evolution. When I hand-type a link while
composing in html, Evolution automatically makes it a valid link (blue,
underlined). But when I use FF's "Send Link" function, an Evolution html
message composition window opens with the link displayed, but it's not
shown as valid (not blue, not underlined). Sending that results in my
wife receiving a non-valid link. I believe that David's gmail showed it
as valid, but others got mixed results. However, if I position my cursor
at the end of the link and hit Return before sending, the link changes to
a valid one. As a guess, Evolution isn't wrapping the URL in <a></a>
until I perform that final action. Or maybe it is, depending on who
receives the email. Something involving Heisenberg maybe, it baffles
science.

Ralph indicated that TB will automatically convert URLs to links when the
message is viewed as plain text, but not if viewed in html (if I read his
message correctly, it showed as html here), which answers my associated
question about whether email clients, and most pertinently TB,
automatically make properly-formatted URLs into links or not.

Looks like my fix is to make sure the link displays as valid before
sending. Thanks, all, for looking into this.

Terry R.

Nov 19, 2010, 10:12:39 AM11/19/10
On 11/19/2010 6:26 AM On a whim, Jack Elliott pounded out on the keyboard

> I believe that David's gmail showed it
> as valid, but others got mixed results.

That was the Gmail test I sent to you. Gmail displayed the link but TB
did not. Jay saw the link because his view settings were set to Plain Text.

> Looks like my fix is to make sure the link displays as valid before
> sending. Thanks, all, for looking into this.

You're welcome.

John McWilliams

Nov 19, 2010, 11:25:48 AM11/19/10

Should you forget, or another e-mails something to your wife that isn't
clickable, making a quick 'reply' will reset the link so that it's
clickable in Drafts. I did it also on Ralph's example and it (the
method I describe) still works.

--
john mcwilliams

Jay Garcia