AT&T Update e-Mail Settings

Carol Carter

Nov 16, 2013, 2:32:16 PM11/16/13
Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email
application".

Cannot find any information on the AT&T website about what needs to be
changed in Thunderbird and have not been able to reach anyone in
customer service who can help.

Anyone else looking at this problem? Thanks!

Carol

David E. Ross

Nov 16, 2013, 2:59:15 PM11/16/13
Are you sure the E-mail was legitimate?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Where does your elected official stand? Which
politicians refuse to tell us where they stand?
See the non-partisan Project Vote Smart at
<http://votesmart.org/>.

Vic Moz Garcia

Nov 16, 2013, 3:01:52 PM11/16/13
What problem ???
Using what AT&T service ???

goodwin

Nov 16, 2013, 3:03:19 PM11/16/13
On 11/16/2013 11:32 AM, Carol Carter wrote:
This is a common phish which has been going on for over a year anyway -
DO NOT reply or ewspond to it - forward it to ab...@att.net

Mike Easter

Nov 16, 2013, 3:23:14 PM11/16/13
Carol Carter wrote:
> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
> 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email application".

I would be suspicious of some kind of phish.

You can examine the headers in the message source of an email by parsing
the Received: from tracelines backwards to determine the source of a
bogus email.

OR

Here is an ATT page talking about server settings and accounts created
before vs after 2011 Jun

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=nJj6Q6gHySV
If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you
will not be able to use an email client to access your email.

--
Mike Easter

Tom Oldman

Nov 16, 2013, 3:33:20 PM11/16/13
Inside the email (the headers) were dates as far back as 2007. Forget
it. I got the same email you did.

--
Remove the obvious to email me

Wolf Kirchmeir

Nov 16, 2013, 10:06:48 PM11/16/13
this is phishing spam. Ignore it. Delete the message, too. I hope you
didn't click on anything within the message. If you did, run a scan with
at least three different anti-virus/anti-malware programs.

HTH

--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

flatula...@deadspam.com

Nov 17, 2013, 12:19:59 AM11/17/13
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 22:06:48 -0500 Wolf Kirchmeir said:-
Or use Linux.

Carol Carter

Nov 17, 2013, 4:15:34 PM11/17/13
Thanks to everybody! I'm ignoring the e-mail and haven't clicked any
links. Hopefully I'm safe and I appreciate your responses.

Carol

Keith Nuttle

Nov 17, 2013, 7:52:31 PM11/17/13
I have received several of these, and I never have clicked any links.
In fact they now go straight to the spam folders. I have found that in
their header information it always points to another URL with out any
thing to connect it to ATT.

If you have not clicked any URL's you should be completely safe.

I have a Yahoo/ATT email address with web mail. I screen all of my
email in the Webmail to the web mail spam folder. I periodically check
it to ensure that nothing good has been routed to span.

I very rarely collect any spam in TB spam filters in the emails
downloaded to my home computers.

jamesal...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2013, 6:52:49 AM11/30/13
Carol:

I have AT&T U-Verse running Thunderbird 26 on Windows 7/64 bit. I found your post through a Google search when I also received that message. Yes, it is legitimate and it does come from AT&T. I've gotten those bogus phishing-attempt ones and these aren't those. Note they do not ask you for any information, as hackers do. Check the full headers and the from/reply entries. The web-page link is legitimate as well.

On my system, I had to manually update all Thunderbird-based AT&T email accounts. Incoming and outgoing. It appears that -- in the past -- the company "piggy backed" off yahoo servers. But the new incoming and outgoing servers are AT&T dedicated.

There's some settings you need to change for each of your AT&T Thunderbird email accounts to get them ready for the December 11 deadline. It's a bit tedious, but easy to do. AT&T doesn't have Thunderbird support, so it takes a bit of setting all accounts individually, on your own.

It took me a little bit of effort to "update manually," but at last check all the new incoming/outgoing settings work fine and I can send and receive email from every account.

SET OUTGOING SERVER:
You'll have to go to Thunderbird's Account Settings, scroll to the bottom, and open the listing for Outgoing Server (SMTP). Edit each AT&T account which has the older settings and enter the new ones (copy your current settings for each account if you're worried about deleting anything, a text pad proves useful for temporary storage):

Server name: outbound.att.net
Port: 465
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password
User name: [your full email address]

SET INCOMING SERVER:
Go to the Account settings for each AT&T account. Select the matching SMTP setting -- which you created for each account as listed above -- for that account from the pull-down menu.

Proceed to the Server Settings for that account. Ensure it's set at:
Server Type: POP Mail Server
Server name: inbound.att.net
Port: 995
User name: [your email address]
Connection security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password

One thing you'll have to do is -- for sure -- delete your currently stored password entries for each account, if you use that feature. Try the current entry, copy the password, then delete that entry. Then you'll be promoted again, asked to enter the password when you send and receive-- paste from the previous action -- and asked if you want it saved. Then the deleted entry is rebuilt with the new AT&T server settings.

It should fine after all of that. I have a number of AT&T emails through Thunderbird 26. I tested them all in sending and receiving once the updated AT&T server settings were entered. So far, so good.

It appears AT&T will only be running that "yahoo server hookup thing" until December 11, according to the correspondence. After that, it will no doubt go the way of the dodo. Hence the need to update your email settings.

-- James
###

Debbie

Dec 3, 2013, 2:18:22 PM12/3/13
I don't know about Thunderbird, but I contacted AT&T today, Dec 3, and was told the email is legitimate. Your settings on your computer must be updated to meet AT&T specifications for Outlook, Outlook express, etc. I have UVERSE and a new computer, so my settings were already up to date. You may want to try Live Chat with AT&T and ask them directly.

Keith Nuttle

Dec 3, 2013, 2:40:39 PM12/3/13
I also received the email today. I contacted the ATT online chat and
found that the primary change is the servers. I had been using the
att.yahoo.com servers. The lady said these would continue to work.
The one they are recommending now is inbound and outbound att.net. I
did not follow through but there was something about the bellsouth
serves, so that my have been the main problem that is being corrected.

Carol Carter

Dec 5, 2013, 9:30:00 AM12/5/13
Thanks, James, for all of the info - The only problem I'm having now is
outgoing e-mail. I have my own domain name and get an error message
"address not verified" when trying to send.

It works if I use my bellsouth.net address in the Email Address line.
Is there a way to keep using my domain e-mail other than using the
"reply to field" (which doesn't work on some e-mail clients). Never had
this problem before and don't want to give up my domain name e-mail.

Carol

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dec 5, 2013, 10:11:51 AM12/5/13
Carol Carter wrote:

> Thanks, James, for all of the info - The only problem I'm having now is
> outgoing e-mail. I have my own domain name and get an error message
> "address not verified" when trying to send.
>
> It works if I use my bellsouth.net address in the Email Address line. Is
> there a way to keep using my domain e-mail other than using the "reply
> to field" (which doesn't work on some e-mail clients). Never had this
> problem before and don't want to give up my domain name e-mail.

Many ISPs do what you are describing. I too have my own domain name email
addresses, and my ISP, Time Warner RoadRunner, won't permit using their
SMTP servers unless I use my roadrunner.com address. They do this to
prevent spam and forgery. I was an AT&T Worldnet user pre-2008 and I
remember it was this way even then.

How do you *receive* email sent to your domain address?

To get around that, I have my own web and mail server, maintained by me. A
full web and mail hosting service will probably cost you about $5 to $6 a
month, and it's up to you to maintain it.

--
-bts

Keith Nuttle

Dec 5, 2013, 10:33:43 AM12/5/13
How did you have the outgoing Account set up before you made this recent
change?

Carol Carter

Dec 5, 2013, 11:40:35 AM12/5/13
SMPT server was mail.bellsouth.net, port 25, encrypted password, user
name myn...@bellsouth.net. My domain address where the problem seems to
be is in the main "Account Settings" window.

harr...@att.net

Dec 9, 2013, 1:01:03 PM12/9/13
Thanks for the info. I've done a fresh install of the latest Tbird, which has an autodetect feature that gets the correct settings from att.net for the username account. All that worked great, on checking the settings, both incoming and outgoing, they match what you posted. My email works perfectly, the only problem is, I keep getting those annoying warnings from ATT saying I must update my email settings! As near as I can tell, they are not paying attention to accounts as they are updated and seem to just keep nattering to make updates. As others have noted, getting through to a real live tech person is all but impossible with ATT, so I guess we'll just have to wait for December 11 to see what happens.

richard...@att.net

Dec 9, 2013, 4:48:39 PM12/9/13
I have windows live. This particular email seems legit. I have printed out the new settings just in case, but one of the posts mentioned that the old settings may continue to work. I will wait and see.

Keith Nuttle

Dec 9, 2013, 5:48:00 PM12/9/13
On 12/9/2013 1:01 PM, harr...@att.net wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I've done a fresh install of the latest Tbird, which has an autodetect feature that gets the correct settings from att.net for the username account. All that worked great, on checking the settings, both incoming and outgoing, they match what you posted. My email works perfectly, the only problem is, I keep getting those annoying warnings from ATT saying I must update my email settings! As near as I can tell, they are not paying attention to accounts as they are updated and seem to just keep nattering to make updates. As others have noted, getting through to a real live tech person is all but impossible with ATT, so I guess we'll just have to wait for December 11 to see what happens.

I don't know how long it has been since you updated to the new
parameter, but after a day or so after I started using the new settings,
ATT quit sending the nag messages.

As I read the instruction the Yahoo servers will continue to recognize
the ATT addresses. But I suspect that ATT is getting ready to part
company with Yahoo.

A couple of years ago before we moved from Indianapolis, ATT initiated
what they called a unified service. From that service you could access
you cell phone messages and setup, your home phone and you e mail all at
one location. Maybe they are planning to implement it across their
system.

gulfcoast...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 4:01:46 PM12/11/13
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:32:16 PM UTC-6, Carol Carter wrote:
> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
>
> 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email
>
> application".

After using "Live Chat" for att.net, I found it was necessary to change settings on my Apple Mail application. The message from ATT was legit and not a phishing ploy. The gentleman on Live Chat was great in explaining what had to be done -

jrol...@pacbell.net

Dec 13, 2013, 5:21:37 PM12/13/13
Starting 12/12 I can no longer download my ATT emails on a Windows XP computer using Mozilla Thunderbird 24.2.0. I can still send emails. The AT&T letter referred below is valid (per checking with ATT). Can anyone advise what Thunderbird account changes (i.e. POP server name, port #, etc.) are required?
John
---------------

Keith Nuttle

Dec 13, 2013, 5:57:56 PM12/13/13
I am on an SBCGlobal account with ATT thourgh BellSouth. There were to
primary changes. The servers are now inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net

You can veiw all of the current settings at

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=7KDuWnFoiT2

linneaan...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2013, 10:08:33 AM12/14/13
I hope that all your settings worked in Thunderbird after Dec. 11, harr....@att.net.

I did all that ATT wanted me to do with my old Eudora email program and it doesn't recognize it. I did ask in Live Chat about Thunderbird but got no response to that...this was on the 11th. I hadn't yet looked at or downloaded Thunderbird, just hoped to get Eudora to work.

I've been working on this now for 3 days, I hate using web mail at ATT.
I have Windows 7 and installed Thunderbird with high hopes, as Qualcomm sold Eudora to Mozilla, which Tbird was to be based on. I haven't added anything to it yet so have no idea if I'll be able to work with it like Eudora.

When I installed, I stupidly chose Use Eudora settings, the flow of dialog that came in, and went on to import Mailboxes, Folders and Address Book, none of which came in en toto. They only imported Eudora nicknames in the address book and not the other groups.

I configured the settings as ATT wanted in their update, and as James wrote here, manually, as Thunderbird DIDN'T use the autodetect feature, probably because I'd already checked that yes, use Eudora Settings (again, stupid).

I sent myself a Test mail from ATT web, as Live Chat had suggested the other day but nada.
I then uninstalled all, uninstalled the install from ATT, searched my computer for any file re Thunderbird, thought I had it all cleared out.

Downloaded a new install and up it came, no dialog boxes to choose Eudora settings or not, no autodetect, and all the Mailboxes, Address Book as before.
I did it all again, and still nothing. I entered all the new settings, as per above too.

Does anyone know how to do a fresh download and install so that it WILL autodetect?

If only I'd known about the Group and read all this 3 days ago.
Thanks in advance.

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:32:16 PM UTC-5, Carol Carter wrote:
> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by

Keith Nuttle

Dec 14, 2013, 11:22:50 AM12/14/13
In Thunderbird go to that accounts settings click the account name in
the left panel of the main window, or Tool, Account Settings and list
the values on Account Server Settings page and on the last item in that
pane the Outgoing Server settings.

Assuming you have a POP account compare those settings with those in you
TB account. You should use the settings based on the domain name of the
user The part of the email address to the right of the @.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=7KDuWnFoiT2

Pop Server Settings will go into the TB Account Server settings and the
SMTP settings should be placed in the TB Outgoing Server settings

If you can still not get things working post the TB account settings to
the newgroup. See first paragraph.

Mike Easter

Dec 14, 2013, 11:32:53 AM12/14/13
linneaan...@gmail.com wrote:
> I hope that all your settings worked in Thunderbird after Dec. 11,
> harr....@att.net.

Isn't all of this just about server changes? There is plenty of AT&T
information online about the 'problem' for the free att.net people and
the new server settings for U-verse.

<snip>
If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you
will not be able to use an email client to access your email. Retrieve
your email at http://www.att.net.

U-verse Internet Support
You'll need to know the current AT&T email server settings, shown in the
table below, for setting up an email client for AT&T email.
/<snip>

> I did all that ATT wanted me to do with my old Eudora email program
> and it doesn't recognize it.

There is nothing so complicated about the server settings that Eudora
can't handle; the SSL and the appropriate ports.

I don't have a Eudora or a U-verse account to test with.

> I did ask in Live Chat about Thunderbird but got no response to
> that...this was on the 11th.

ATT's webpage support for client alternatives is limited; their main
page is OL 2007 on Win7 but they also address other OL/s and OE, WinMail
and some Macs - not Tb nor Eudora nor a host of other clients.

I'm sure the livechat person isn't up for handling a client they are
unfamiliar. Those people typically aren't tech competent but instead
have a cookbook. If Tb or Eudora isn't in the cookbook they are out of gas.

> I hadn't yet looked at or downloaded Thunderbird, just hoped to get
> Eudora to work.

I don't see any reason why a properly configured Eudora wouldn't do just
fine. If I search on Eudora SSL I get lots of hits to show how to
configure for that.

> I've been working on this now for 3 days, I hate using web mail at
> ATT. I have Windows 7 and installed Thunderbird with high hopes, as
> Qualcomm sold Eudora to Mozilla, which Tbird was to be based on. I
> haven't added anything to it yet so have no idea if I'll be able to
> work with it like Eudora.

Your description of the Eudora/Tb relationship isn't quite accurate.

This Eudora OSE section of the wikipedia article describes it better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudora_(e-mail_client)#Eudora_OSE

The OSE/Penelope story isn't very happy for Eudora lovers.

The short story is; either stay with/ use/ your favorite old Eudora or
switch to some modern client such as Tb and forget about OSE/Penelope

> When I installed, I stupidly chose Use Eudora settings, the flow of
> dialog that came in, and went on to import Mailboxes, Folders and
> Address Book, none of which came in en toto. They only imported
> Eudora nicknames in the address book and not the other groups.
>
> I configured the settings as ATT wanted in their update, and as James
> wrote here, manually, as Thunderbird DIDN'T use the autodetect
> feature, probably because I'd already checked that yes, use Eudora
> Settings (again, stupid).
>
> I sent myself a Test mail from ATT web, as Live Chat had suggested
> the other day but nada. I then uninstalled all, uninstalled the
> install from ATT, searched my computer for any file re Thunderbird,
> thought I had it all cleared out.
>
> Downloaded a new install and up it came, no dialog boxes to choose
> Eudora settings or not, no autodetect, and all the Mailboxes, Address
> Book as before. I did it all again, and still nothing. I entered all
> the new settings, as per above too.
>
> Does anyone know how to do a fresh download and install so that it
> WILL autodetect?

Your earlier errant install leaves a profile which I wouldn't want.

I would find that profile in your Win7 and delete it:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird#Windows_Vista_and_7

That section on finding the Win7 profile shows you both the search tool
and the path approach.

> If only I'd known about the Group and read all this 3 days ago.
> Thanks in advance.

In summary:

- if you want to use Eudora instead of Tb, you should be able to do it
- if you want to change to Tb, get rid of the old profile and start
from scratch

--
Mike Easter

linneaan...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2013, 12:02:43 PM12/18/13
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:32:16 PM UTC-5, Carol Carter wrote:
> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
>
> 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email
>
> application".
>

> Cannot find any information on the AT&T website about what needs to be
>
> changed in Thunderbird and have not been able to reach anyone in
>
> customer service who can help.
Can't thank you enough Mike Easter. I have to print out some of the discussion and your link to MozillaLine...and study!
I've been so hag ridden lately I hadn't even checked for a reply. I've been limping along with Windows Live, using my att/Yahoo account, and Gmail, and copying things I had in Eudora to use for new work. Just a hard week here and no time to work on this mess.
It is all about settings, yes, but AT&T chose not to recognize my Eudora and I do have it configured properly. I'll try all this again and if it fails, then on to T bird again.
I do appreciate your time and trouble. I'll write as soon as I can to report.
Thank you so much.
Linnea

Mike Easter

Dec 18, 2013, 1:32:37 PM12/18/13
linneaan...@gmail.com wrote:

> I've been limping along with Windows Live, using my att/Yahoo
> account, and Gmail, and copying things I had in Eudora to use for new
> work. Just a hard week here and no time to work on this mess. It is
> all about settings, yes, but AT&T chose not to recognize my Eudora
> and I do have it configured properly. I'll try all this again and if
> it fails, then on to T bird again.

You never did say which version of Eudora you use.

This is a (old) eudora page showing how to setup v.5.1 with SSL showing
4 SSL settings on that v. and how standard SSL vs alternate ports is
managed and when eudora.ini configuration is needed.

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2307hq.html Setting up SSL in Eudora

This^1 is the ATT page with the server settings for various domain names
and the SSL port, all require SSL and use what the eudora page refers to
as the 'alternate' port instead of what eudora calls the standard port.

IMO, the standard port for non-SSL is NOT the standard port for SSL, but
the eudora page has a different concept.

IMO I would call SSL ports for pop/smtp 995 & 465 to be the 'standard'
or normal SSL ports. ATT does not offer IMAP according to that page.

So, my choice in eudora 5.1 would be "required, alternate port" and
authentication style passwords.

^1 http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=nJj6Q6gHySV

--
Mike Easter

peggybr...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2014, 3:10:54 PM1/23/14
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:32:16 PM UTC-6, Carol Carter wrote:
> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
>
> 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email
>
> application".
>

> Cannot find any information on the AT&T website about what needs to be
>
> changed in Thunderbird and have not been able to reach anyone in
>
> customer service who can help.
>

> Anyone else looking at this problem? Thanks!
>

> Carol

Keith Nuttle

Jan 23, 2014, 4:16:32 PM1/23/14
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=2a5z-UxmxTf

Email Program Settings Field: Enter:
Incoming (POP): inbound.att.net
Outgoing server (SMTP): outbound.att.net (requires authentication)
Incoming mail server: POP3
Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain
(e.g. te...@att.net, te...@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

seant...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2014, 3:25:29 PM10/6/14
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:23:14 PM UTC-5, Mike Easter wrote:
> Carol Carter wrote:
>
> > Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by December
>
> > 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email application".
>

> I would be suspicious of some kind of phish.
>

> You can examine the headers in the message source of an email by parsing
>
> the Received: from tracelines backwards to determine the source of a
>
> bogus email.
>

> OR
>

> Here is an ATT page talking about server settings and accounts created
>
> before vs after 2011 Jun
>

> http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=nJj6Q6gHySV
>
> If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you
>
> will not be able to use an email client to access your email.
>

> --
>
> Mike Easter

Thank you so much if ever in the hudson valley area of ny drinks on me....

Oct 6, 2014, 6:42:26 PM10/6/14
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org

On 10/06/2014 02:25 PM, seant...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:23:14 PM UTC-5, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Carol Carter wrote:
>>
>>> Received e-mail from AT&T that if settings are not updated by
>>> December
>>
>>> 11 "you won't be able to access your email through your email
>>> application".
>>
>> I would be suspicious of some kind of phish.
>>
>> You can examine the headers in the message source of an email by
>> parsing
>>
>> the Received: from tracelines backwards to determine the source of
>> a bogus email.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Here is an ATT page talking about server settings and accounts
>> created
>>
>> before vs after 2011 Jun
>>
>> http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=nJj6Q6gHySV
>>
>>If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you
>>
>> will not be able to use an email client to access your email.

i get isp "phishing lines" dropped in my pond all the time.

i have filters set for _all_my_desired_ emails for all my
email accounts, last in order filter moves all rest to my
"Local Folders / Inbox".

nothing stays in my account folders.

anything hitting "Local Folders / Inbox", alerts me, so, i am
leery of and i open with <ctrl+u> to look at "From:" header.

99.9% of time names used after "@" prove junk/spam or phishing.

i close view, then click junk icon and i am done with them
because junk filtering takes over.

as of late, i am finding junk|spam|phishing emails to be using
"Friends" names from facebook accounts as "From:". those still
filter down to "Local Folders / Inbox" because they do not match
"@isp" name of my friends.

i have used filters to sort all _desire_emails_ from back
in netscape days and it still continues to work.

Carol Carter,
you should consider doing same and setup filtering. it will
make you email time less worry some and one hell of a lot
more enjoyable.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.