Thunderbird cant look up words nor auto-correct

John Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 4:14:51 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click,
and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple
built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the
case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct
misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or
select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple
Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use
the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?
--
Sent on Thunderbird for the Mac
You don't believe in God or the Bible?

Good Guy

Jul 4, 2016, 4:27:57 PM7/4/16
On 04/07/2016 21:14, John Wolf wrote:
On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click, and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?

Outlook is inter-linked with Microsoft Office and I suspect Apple mail is also linked with its own office package so they should be able to correct spellings.

TB has got an Add-on to do this but I haven't used any so I can't recommend but somebody will.  As to define words, I have not seen Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Office doing this so this is quite new to me.  I have my own digital COED so I can check the words easily.

Limitation of TB- perhaps;  Complaining - Not me!!

--
With over 350 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Wolf K.

Jul 4, 2016, 4:49:53 PM7/4/16
On 2016-07-04 16:14, John Wolf wrote:
> On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click,
> and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple
> built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the
> case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct
> misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or
> select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple
> Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use
> the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?

Select the language you want spell check to use:

Options (Preferences) --> Composition --> select Spelling tab --> Select
language.

FWIW, I'm happy that Tbird doesn't auto-correct. Facebook does that, and
it _never_ gets the spelling right.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Dave Pyles

Jul 4, 2016, 4:54:59 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Have you checked your settings at Options > Composition > Spelling tab.
If you have "Check Spelling before sending" selected, Thunderbird will
check the whole document and offer spelling suggestions. It doesn't
correct the spelling automatically, though. (I'm certainly very happy
about that.)

Dave Pyles

WaltS48

Jul 4, 2016, 5:00:04 PM7/4/16
On 07/04/2016 04:14 PM, John Wolf wrote:
On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click, and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?

Not that I could find.

<https://mzl.la/29kgmhY>

Pittsburgh Bicentennial <http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/events-festivals/pgh200/>
SouthSide Works Exposed <http://www.southsideworks.com/?p=1786>
Deutschtown Music Festival <http://deutschtownmusicfestival.org/>
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix <http://www.pvgp.org/>

Richard Alan

Jul 4, 2016, 5:01:36 PM7/4/16
John Wolf wrote:

> Both Apple Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they
> both use the apple system dictionary.

"Auto-correct is my worst enema."

If you figure it out and make it work, be sure you carefully proofread
each email and post you make - before you send it. Learning to spell has
always been the better option.

I am able to right-click on the misspelled word (identified by a red
squiggly underline) and choose a suggestion from a menu list.

If you are complaining about definitions, keep a shortcut to
dictionary.com handy.

Good Guy

Jul 4, 2016, 5:06:47 PM7/4/16
On 04/07/2016 21:54, Dave Pyles wrote:

Have you checked your settings at Options > Composition > Spelling tab. If you have "Check Spelling before sending" selected, Thunderbird will check the whole document and offer spelling suggestions.  It doesn't correct the spelling automatically, though.  (I'm certainly very happy about that.)

Dave Pyles

I believe the OP was asking about Auto-Correcting the spellings like in Microsoft Office or Outlook.  I haven't seen this is TB.  As to pin-pointing the spellings in TB YES it can show you red lines under items that are deemed to be incorrect.

In Word, when you type something, it automatically corrects it if the spelling is not right.  TB needs to have a feature so that it can link to some dictionaries.

Mind you, I'm not complaining because a red line is good enough for me so that I can quickly correct it.

Richard Alan

Jul 4, 2016, 5:42:43 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I just saw a prime example of auto-correct running amok. Headline to a
news article:

"At least 32 reportedly shot in Chicago so far on Fourth of July weakened"

David E. Ross

Jul 4, 2016, 7:41:38 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/2016 1:14 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click,
> and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple
> built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the
> case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct
> misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or
> select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple
> Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use
> the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?

I have to agree with others who have replied to this thread with
criticism against auto-correcting.

To me, a flat, circular object is a disc, not a disk. And the plural of
ephemeris (a table of positions of celestial bodies) is NOT ephemerises;
it is ephemerides (pronounced ee-fem-er-ih-dees). I have run into
spell-checkers that do not handle these correctly.

When using Microsoft's Word, I disable both auto-correct and
check-as-you-go for spelling. I also suppress grammar-check. When
using Thunderbird, I using the inherent capability to check spelling
only when I have finished composing a message. (This time, Thunderbird
did indeed find two errors.)

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Is it true that Donald Trump refuses to reveal his
income tax returns because he uses so many questionable
loopholes that he pays no taxes? See
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/15/new-evidence-donald-trump-didn-t-pay-taxes.html>.

John Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 7:54:32 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/16 5:40 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 7/4/2016 1:14 PM, John Wolf wrote:
>> On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click,
>> and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple
>> built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the
>> case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct
>> misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or
>> select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple
>> Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use
>> the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?
>>

> I have to agree with others who have replied to this thread with
> criticism against auto-correcting.
>
> To me, a flat, circular object is a disc, not a disk. And the plural of
> ephemeris (a table of positions of celestial bodies) is NOT ephemerises;
> it is ephemerides (pronounced ee-fem-er-ih-dees). I have run into
> spell-checkers that do not handle these correctly.
>
> When using Microsoft's Word, I disable both auto-correct and
> check-as-you-go for spelling. I also suppress grammar-check. When
> using Thunderbird, I using the inherent capability to check spelling
> only when I have finished composing a message. (This time, Thunderbird
> did indeed find two errors.)

But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
define words by right clicking on them.

Richard Alan

Jul 4, 2016, 8:04:05 PM7/4/16
John Wolf wrote:

> But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
> define words by right clicking on them.

If this is so important to you, why don't you switch full-time to your
other clients that do what you want. I have the feeling you are
intentionally picking on Thunderbird for some reason...

Or: http://www.dictionary.com/

David E. Ross

Jul 4, 2016, 8:15:09 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Oh!! I just discovered why all of John Wolf's messages in this thread
are marked "read" instead of "unread". His name is the first entry in
the filter I named "Troll".

Good-bye.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Is it true that Donald Trump refuses to reveal his
income tax returns because he uses so many questionable
loopholes that he pays no taxes? See
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/15/new-evidence-donald-trump-didn-t-pay-taxes.html>.
Even if those
loopholes are legal, Trump might be too embarrassed to
admit he pays no taxes.

Brian

Jul 4, 2016, 8:16:48 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:14:12 -0600, John Wolf
<jwol...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click,
>and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple
>built in dictionary is able to define the word for me. This is not the
>case with Thunderbird. Thunderbird also does not auto-correct
>misspellings for me, instead I have to correct the misspelling, or
>select the word and right click to get the proper spelling. Both Apple
>Mail and Outlook are able to auto correct words because they both use
>the apple system dictionary. Anyone else complaining about this limitation?

You can accomplish this with a wonderful, free or paid version of
Wordweb, it is one of my favorite Windows utilities. I am of course
assuming you are using Windows, as you didn't say, you could be using
TB with Mac.

See: http://wordweb.info/free/

John Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 8:17:03 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thunderbird has some major advantages over those clients and why I will
be using it for awhile. Its not perfect but the more features the
better. For one it seems to manage lots of email better than the others,
and is definitely easier to copy and paste Rich Text over Apple Mail.

Richard Alan

Jul 4, 2016, 8:25:03 PM7/4/16
Brian wrote:

> John Wolf <jwol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, ...
>
> You can accomplish this with a wonderful, free or paid version of
> Wordweb, it is one of my favorite Windows utilities. I am of course
> assuming you are using Windows, as you didn't say, you could be using TB
> with Mac.

See his signature, above the religious advertisement:

John Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 8:25:15 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/16 6:14 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 7/4/2016 5:03 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
>> John Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
>>> define words by right clicking on them.
>>
>> If this is so important to you, why don't you switch full-time to your
>> other clients that do what you want. I have the feeling you are
>> intentionally picking on Thunderbird for some reason...
>>
>> Or: http://www.dictionary.com/
>>

> Oh!! I just discovered why all of John Wolf's messages in this thread
> are marked "read" instead of "unread". His name is the first entry in
> the filter I named "Troll".
>
> Good-bye.

That signature certainly makes you a troll.

Good Guy

Jul 4, 2016, 8:32:48 PM7/4/16
On 05/07/2016 01:14, David E. Ross wrote:

Oh!!  I just discovered why all of John Wolf's messages in this thread
are marked "read" instead of "unread".  His name is the first entry in
the filter I named "Troll".

Surely, if you have already decided at the outset that he is a "troll"(meaning the person whose opinion or views you disagree with)   then why not delete his messages so that you don't have to reply to him.  You replied to his post and when he disagreed with your answer so you made him a troll. Crackers!!!!

Most people have made me a troll on Windows newsgroups but they are sensible to filter me out and delete my messages so that they don't reply to them inadvertently.  You are not doing this and so you need to change your workflow.

John's request was quite polite and considerate.  He didn't accuse or attack anybody but clearly you disagreed with him so you branded him a troll.

WaltS48

Jul 4, 2016, 8:56:44 PM7/4/16
John Wolf wrote:

But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
define words by right clicking on them.

If this is so important to you, why don't you switch full-time to your
other clients that do what you want. I have the feeling you are
intentionally picking on Thunderbird for some reason...

Or:  http://www.dictionary.com/

Oh!!  I just discovered why all of John Wolf's messages in this thread
are marked "read" instead of "unread".  His name is the first entry in
the filter I named "Troll".

Good-bye.

That signature certainly makes you a troll.

So does yours, and the only reason you are posting.

Brian

Jul 4, 2016, 9:01:20 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:24:24 -0500, Richard Alan <ra...@nospam.org>
wrote:
Yeah, you are correct. Missed that.

Good Guy

Jul 4, 2016, 9:04:50 PM7/4/16
On 05/07/2016 01:56, WaltS48 wrote:

So does yours, and the only reason you are posting.

So you reckon "Deutschtown Music Festiva"l (spam in your signature) is relevant to Thunderbird?

Brian

Jul 4, 2016, 9:14:36 PM7/4/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:16:26 -0600, John Wolf
<jwol...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>On 7/4/16 6:03 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
>> John Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
>>> define words by right clicking on them.
>>
>> If this is so important to you, why don't you switch full-time to your
>> other clients that do what you want. I have the feeling you are
>> intentionally picking on Thunderbird for some reason...
>>
>> Or: http://www.dictionary.com/
>>

>Thunderbird has some major advantages over those clients and why I will
>be using it for awhile. Its not perfect but the more features the
>better. For one it seems to manage lots of email better than the others,
>and is definitely easier to copy and paste Rich Text over Apple Mail.

Have you tried the built-in definition dictionary in MAC?

See:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2038420/five-dictionary-tricks-i-cant-live-without.html

Good Guy

Jul 4, 2016, 9:30:08 PM7/4/16

In his original post he said:

On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right click, and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the apple built in dictionary is able to define the word for me.

Is this what you are referring to?

John Wolf

Jul 4, 2016, 11:19:28 PM7/4/16
On 7/4/16 7:29 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 05/07/2016 02:13, Brian wrote:
>> Have you tried the built-in definition dictionary in MAC?
>>
>> See:
>>

>> http://www.macworld.com/article/2038420/five-dictionary-tricks-i-cant-live-without.html
>
> In his original post he said:
>
>> On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right
>> click, and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the
>> apple built in dictionary is able to define the word for me.
>
> Is this what you are referring to?

Indeed so. I may have to not live with the feature.

> --
> With over 350 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Jeff Layman

Jul 5, 2016, 2:49:42 AM7/5/16
On 05/07/16 04:18, John Wolf wrote:
> On 7/4/16 7:29 PM, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 05/07/2016 02:13, Brian wrote:
>>> Have you tried the built-in definition dictionary in MAC?
>>>
>>> See:
>>>

>>> http://www.macworld.com/article/2038420/five-dictionary-tricks-i-cant-live-without.html
>>
>> In his original post he said:
>>
>>> On both Apple Mail and Outlook I am able to select a word, right
>>> click, and select the look up item under the contextual menu and the
>>> apple built in dictionary is able to define the word for me.
>>
>> Is this what you are referring to?
>
> Indeed so. I may have to not live with the feature.

Would it not be an option to compose your email message in Word, allow
that to spell check or autocorrect, and send that as an email? Or even
copy and paste the spell-corrected text into TB?

--

Jeff

John Wolf

Jul 5, 2016, 5:31:14 AM7/5/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I guess I can live without auto-correct.

Tanstaafl

Jul 5, 2016, 9:10:15 AM7/5/16
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
On 7/4/2016 5:00 PM, Richard Alan <ra...@nospam.org> wrote:
> If you are complaining about definitions, keep a shortcut to
> dictionary.com handy.

Or just select/highlight a word, right-click > Search with... > Dictionary

Tanstaafl

Jul 5, 2016, 9:31:10 AM7/5/16
On 7/4/2016 7:53 PM, John Wolf <jwol...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
> define words by right clicking on them.

Already responded - but been using it so long I forgot that this
requires an Addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchwith/

I think I also had to add the Dictionary.com service...

WaltS48

Jul 5, 2016, 9:38:06 AM7/5/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org

John Wolf

Jul 5, 2016, 6:00:31 PM7/5/16
On 7/5/16 7:37 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 07/05/2016 09:09 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 7/4/2016 7:53 PM, John Wolf <jwol...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>>> But that still does not address its lack of ability to look up and
>>> define words by right clicking on them.
>> Already responded - but been using it so long I forgot that this
>> requires an Addon:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchwith/
>>
>> I think I also had to add the Dictionary.com service...
>
> The Thunderbird link.
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/searchwith/>

Is this add-on Mac compatible?

John Wolf

Jul 5, 2016, 6:05:26 PM7/5/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Wow it works thanks!

Wayne

Jul 13, 2016, 11:42:45 AM7/13/16
On 7/5/2016 5:59 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> On 7/5/16 7:37 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Already responded - but been using it so long I forgot that this
>>> requires an Addon:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchwith/
>>>
>>> I think I also had to add the Dictionary.com service...
>>
>> The Thunderbird link.
>>
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/searchwith/>
>>

> Is this add-on Mac compatible?

Did you try it, to think that it is not?

Add-ons are platform agnostic unless the feature explicitly requires
platform specific resources.